Smartest gy in the room

I am the smartest guy in the room!

I know this because we learn from our mistakes, and boy have I made a lot of mistakes. Not only that, but I’ve also made several mistakes more than once! That makes me extra smart!

My most recent (repeated) mistake was ignoring a funny sound when I connected the liquid disconnect to a new keg of Munich Helles. I heard a hissing sound, so I pulled the disconnect off and re-seated it. Still hissing, so I repeated the process and decided that should solve the problem.

Five gallons of excellent Munich Helles went into the bottom of the freezer and out onto the floor!

So, lesson learned (again - last time it was five gallons of Vienna): if something doesn’t sound right, FIX IT! Just reach in the drawer and install one of the half-dozen new o-rings waiting there!

Sorry for your loss(es). I’ve come so close to doing this three or four times it isn’t funny.

Trust me, you are not the only one. I have only had one run out on the floor but a couple empty the CO2 tank. Now the tank gets shut off after use, just in case, even if I leak tested it.

I used to have frequent problems with leaks on the liquid post. Never any hissing. Just a very slow leak. Lost beer onto the floor of the keezer, but it was probably more along the lines of a quart or less. Either way, cleaning out the keezer sucks and if you don’t do it, you will have mold.

My lesson learned: use silicone o-rings on the liquid post and replace them each time I connect a new keg. For some reason I had hit-or-miss luck with Buna-N o-rings on the LP.

Also, I fold up a paper towl, wrap it around the post and check it a couple hours after initially connecting and dispensing. This works as a good early warning system and absorbs anything that may trickle out in that timeframe.

My moments of genius usually occur whilst and after I have been drinking several homebrews.
Hemorrhaging delicious beer onto the bottom of your rig? Yep been there done that. My dog doesnt seem to mind for some reason.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]I used to have frequent problems with leaks on the liquid post. Never any hissing. Just a very slow leak. Lost beer onto the floor of the keezer, but it was probably more along the lines of a quart or less. Either way, cleaning out the keezer sucks and if you don’t do it, you will have mold.

My lesson learned: use silicone o-rings on the liquid post and replace them each time I connect a new keg. For some reason I had hit-or-miss luck with Buna-N o-rings on the LP.

Also, I fold up a paper towl, wrap it around the post and check it a couple hours after initially connecting and dispensing. This works as a good early warning system and absorbs anything that may trickle out in that timeframe.[/quote]
I should have never written this. Haven’t had a leak in months. Hooked up a fresh keg last night, and of course it leaked. Replaced the o-ring and it’s still leaking. At least my early warning system worked. :roll:

If this hasn’t happened to you, you don’t keg beer. Worst one for me was a bock. All that term/lagering time… finished up being sucked up by a shop vac.