Small scale all grain brewing

Haha! Got you beat! My wife told me to quit turning our house into a brewery so I jointly opened a place! Tho I’ve only been married for 15 years. Notice I didn’t say happily like you! :joy::joy::joy:. Just joking honey. In case she sees this. :joy:

3 Likes

I would bet there is a lot of work involved and a lot of satisfaction. It’s great you have a job that you can enjoy and be proud of @loopie_beer I will stick with retirement. Kind of made a promise to myself when I left the best job I ever had that I would not be working again.

3 Likes

Ive always wanted to open a place not so much a brewery but place to serve food and beer in like a beer garden setting. Whenever I have a party I get a taste of it. Its alot of work and I run around like a mad man cooking, serving, making sure everyone is happy. People will say to me
“Your working so hard” and “you should charge people $” well I guess I have my game face on but at the end of the day I’m satisfied that I pulled it off. Could I do it as a job? Probably, but wouldn’t enjoy it as much. Probably not.
I have worked as a cook and bartender so not keen on the hours

1 Like

I’ve moonlighted as a brewer’s assistant and let me say, I do NOT want to be the head brewer/business manager. Too much responsibility and pressure as the place rides on your decisions to make different brews and make them consistently. It’s your heart and a$$ on the line every time. I do love making small batches of my beers at the brewery and seeing how they’re received though. If I make one that folks aren’t happy with it’s only a 5 gallon mistake. I do have a vision of a picobrewery with a very intimate atmosphere that seems like fun.

1 Like

I’m content in retirement. I like lower ABV brews… I’d rather hang out, out of doors with friends. Good grief, I’ve gotta get off my snow potato chair and get to brewing… Actually, going to Ironwood Mi Wed. They have a brewery. Anniversary stuff… Start practicing for longer road trips! Maybe visit Loopie and Damien soon! See if we can go 300 miles a day…
Sneezles61

Nah I’d serve different beers from local breweries and just brew small batch what I like for special

I overheard one of the guys working at a micro brewery referring to himself as “head mash tun scaper” It didn’t sound like he was enjoying his work.

1 Like

I would not like scraping a mash-tun… nor cleaning trub out of the boil kettle…
Hey, gittin’ some snow up there Brew Cat?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Hello again. I’m finally in a stable place for a while and have time to brew. Had an idea recently to brew a one gallon all grain and 5 gallon extract batch of the same style using similar/same ingredients then mix the two to improve the overall flavor of an extract batch. Does that make sense to anyone? Would it actually help improve the flavor noticeably enough? I want to move to BIAB but need to save up a little first. Thanks!

I’ve had drank some extract brews that were quite good. I’ve drank, and made some all grain that weren’t very good at all.
Sanitation and temp control are key’s to making better brews.
Sneezles61

1 Like

well you could do that or easier yet just do a mini mash withe your extract batch and boil it all in one pot one fermenter. Nice your back

1 Like