Small keg to go

Hi, I’m looking to pick up a 2.5 gallon keg with the co2 cartridge charger/picnic tap for a keg system to take to BBQ’s, camping ect. I have several questions. My idea was to fill the little keg off of one of my carbonate 5 gallons cornys through a jumper line. I have heard that filling once carbonated is harder because of agitation releasing co2. I can’t imagine its that big of a deal is it? couldn’t you just start filling and depress the in poppet as you go and then maybe put it back on gas for a day or two? Just looking for in site there. Also I wanted to get one of the keg love ice/neoprene blankets and was curious if anyone has used one of those. Thanks.

If you pressurize the little keg, release pressure on the 5g keg, then set your regulator to 2-4psi and do the jumpering you should be fine. Occasionally releasing the pressure on the 2.3g keg should keep foaming to a minimum.

I would suggest getting a 2nd regulator, a paint ball tank and adapter. Then you can “set it and forget it” and not worry about someone over pressurizing the keg. Roughly a $75 investment.

The cost of the mini co2 cartridges can add up over time. Especially as they are only good for 1 day usually. PB tanks, you can use 1/4 the gas and it will still be there 2 months down the road.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]
The cost of the mini co2 cartridges can add up over time. Especially as they are only good for 1 day usually. PB tanks, you can use 1/4 the gas and it will still be there 2 months down the road.[/quote]
I agree. The paintball tank and adapter setup is the way to go.
I just wish I could find a better price on a mini reg.

i use a paintball tank, and have one of these, to adapt it to a regular sized regulator

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart ... pling.html

I like the mini adapter but I also like the compact package of the Co2 charger. On the Co2 charger do you squeeze a lever to introduce more Co2 or something?

This is what I do and it works great. Make sure to jumper using your “in” line on the little keg.

In or out? I thought you did out to out so that the liquid was filled from the bottom of the dip tube?

Yep my mistake sorry about that.