Smack Pack already "Smacked?"

Hi all, first post here. Been brewing for about 7 months now and have done 5 or 6 batches. All extract so far. Today will be my first Extract + Specialty Grains!

I have a situation this morning. I received my Smashing Pumpkin Ale kit about 10 days ago from NB, but had to go out of town the morning after. I took the liquid yeast package out and put it in the fridge while I was gone. When I came back yesterday, I opened the NB packaging around the smack pack to find that the smack pack was already inflated to full effect. I don’t know how long it’s been like this, but I think I remember the NB packaging feeling pretty full when I put it in the refrigerator 10 days ago. So that means that it could have been smacked in the mail or possibly during handling back at NB. Am I correct to assume this? And can I still use it? I have some dry yeast as backup but I really don’t want to use it unless this liquid yeast is completely unsalvageable. The yeast is Wyeast 1056, and the dry is Safale US-05.

Any advice is appreciated!

I would only use that smack pack if I had time to make a starter for it which you really should do with any liquid yeast. I’d use the 05 and make a starter with the 1056. If it turns out to be viable you can use it on your next brew day.

You can use the dry yeast. If I’m not mistaken it’s the same strain as the 1056 and the WLP001. But if you have time I would build a starter to see if the 1056 takes off.

:cheers:

Oops, sorry, Danny already answered you.

danny and sarge,

Thank you. I’ve never made a starter and don’t have a beaker to make one in. I’m gonna google some alternatives and give a go.

danny and sarge,

Thank you. I’ve never made a starter and don’t have a beaker to make one in. I’m gonna google some alternatives and give a go.[/quote]

You don’t need a flask. I use a gal. glass jug that apple juice came in. Just about any large glass container will work.

danny and sarge,

Thank you. I’ve never made a starter and don’t have a beaker to make one in. I’m gonna google some alternatives and give a go.[/quote]

You don’t need a flask. I use a gal. glass jug that apple juice came in. Just about any large glass container will work.[/quote]

I used a large mason jar. Plenty of head room. The nutrient pack was still closed actually. Not sure why the smack pack was so inflated. I dumped the yeast and nutrients in and swirled it up. Should I be looking to brew tomorrow or the next day?

I have had smack packs swell during shipping without the capsule broken. It just means that the temperature got warm enough for them to become active and managed to find some nutrients. As near as I can tell there is not much point to activating if you are going to make a starter anyway.

It just means the yeast is very healthy and ready to go.

It just means the yeast is very healthy and ready to go.[/quote]

Wow, the complete opposite of what I was worried about. That is good news.

I pitched the starter into 5gal of Smashing Pumpkin Ale (with an extra tsp of pumpkin pie spice) this morning. Hoping for a strong fermentation very soon.