Should I pitch more yeast?!?

Currently brewing NB Irish red ale. Left in primary for 10 days before transferring to secondary. During the transfer to secondary I was careful not to siphon any sediment resting on the bottom of the primary. Currently beer has been in secondary for 7 days. There is no airlock activity and no sediment accumulation on bottom of carboy. Is there enough yeast left for carbonating the beer when I bottle? Should I pitch more yeast when I transfer to bottling bucket??

Nope your fine.

Did you check for final gravity before racking to the clearing vessel? There will be yeast for bottle conditioning remaining in suspension.

Can also be a risky situation if FG had not been reached and the fermentation still had a couple points to go.

I did not check for FG prior to the transfer to secondary, however gravity has now reached at plateau

10 days for an average gravity Irish ale is well within the possibilities of “she’s done”. But… take this as gospel, there’s only one way to know if the fermentation is finished, and that’s to take a series of specific gravities. If the SGs are stable, then you’re good to move on to the next phase.
And for future information, it’s fairly standard to wait to rack to a secondary, if you are going to use one, when you are sure that fermentation is finished. A ‘secondary fermentation’ is a misnomer unless you are adding more fermentables like fruit.
Finally to answer your actual question (sorry about the long-windedness) there will be plenty of yeast left for carbonation. No need to add more.

1 Like