Shipping SN bottles

Anyone have issues shipping beer that has been bottled in SN 12oz bottles? I have a couple of comps I plan on entering with a buddy soon and he is donating the bottles. I have bottled beer in SN bottles several times before but never shipped in them. I have no issues capping them, but its much easier to pry the caps off the SN bottles than my standard bottles. Just have concerns about them being jarred around during shipping.

Sounds like you need a test run. Send me six of your best.

Why use those bottles if you are worried? Just use your regular bottles and feel good about the whole thing.

duct tape :wink:

I’ve used them. I never had any break. Some judges have noted Sierra Nevada bottle on the score sheets. I don’t think it had any bearing on the score but it might be best to use plain long necks.

Why would a judge ever note that?

Shipped them out today on my way home from work. Guess we’ll see how well they work. I already had a couple of the beers bottled in SN bottles and he insisted on supplying the bottles for the comp. I did sneak a few long neck bottles in there though. :wink: I already know the beers that I sent score well in comps, so why not give them a try right?

Why would a judge ever note that?[/quote]
Why would a judge note “bottle has smudges on the exterior of bottle”? :?
I hand wipe each bottle before wrapping them up, so I know that they were clean when they were shipped.

Because the rules state the bottle should have no distinguishing marks so technically a bottle with raised lettering on the glass would violate the rule. Of course you already can’t judge your own beer but I suppose you could alert your buddy to go easy that SN bottle in the x category.

Because the rules state the bottle should have no distinguishing marks so technically a bottle with raised lettering on the glass would violate the rule. [/quote]
No raised lettering on these bottles.

Because the rules state the bottle should have no distinguishing marks so technically a bottle with raised lettering on the glass would violate the rule. [/quote]
No raised lettering on these bottles.[/quote]
Exactly. Was the person who made that comment a certified judge?

Same question. Was this person a certified judge? Maybe the beer was so good that they had to find SOMETHING so they could give it a 49 instead of a 50. :wink:

I don’t know why. It’s happened more than once. There is nothing on it. It’s just the same stubby that many micro brewers use. It probably was a Uinta bottle. Anyway I’m going to send some to Ska pro-am comp. I want feed back on my Helter Spelter American wheat (with spelt) but I did’nt think of entering it into a comp when I bottled it.

If you are not already registered they are not accepting new entries.

[quote=“fightdman”]Why would a judge ever note that?[/quote]Because they are not commonly used for competitions and perhaps the judges consider them to be the same as bottles with raised lettering - not necessarily forbidden but discouraged.

I noticed. I entered a few weeks ago.

I found one of the score sheets. He was non-BJCP. Under bottle inception he wrote “Sierra bottle.” Like normal he scored it the exact same as the lead judge.

An experienced BJCP I know say that he always notes anything distinguishing about the bottle. Hi fill, low fill, silver cap, gold cap, bottle type if non-standard. Doesn’t affect scoring, but it might alert you to a mix up - what if you didn’t submit in SN bottles, and the score sheet says SN bottle? It’s mostly FYI.

-kenc

First for the OP, I have never had any problem with shipping any of the stubby bottles, SN or otherwise. BTW, Boulevard Brewing here in KC is no starting to use pry off bottles instead of twist offs.

Second, a pet peeve of mine when I judge with other judges who make notes about stubby bottles. I always ask why they feel like its necessary to make a note about the bottle. I’ve yet to get a good answer. Also, who cares about raised lettering? They are okay for the NHC so why not for smaller competitions? Just sayin…