Shanks

I used silicone… IF I have to take it apart, I can… Sneezles61

Same here.

Well ordered 2 more shanks on Amazon because shipping was faster. They came today and both have the same issue. One is even worse with something sticking out. They are Kegco all stainless contact nipple shanks. I can’t speak much about their other products but this is terrible quality control. Reached out to Kegco directly with an email and waiting on a response. I’m expecting a well the Beverage Factory and Amazon aren’t authorized sellers garbage response. I’m guessing the Beverage Factory replacement one will be the same defect.

First one is like sticking out. Second one is similar to first one from Beverage Factory.

You really shouldn’t have to be going through this process… Its really a bummer that quality isn’t part of production any more… I would find a fine, small rat tail file, that’ll fit into the shank, chuck it in your drill motor. Put the shank in a vise, horizontally, the using the file/drill motor gizmo, insert it and pull the trigger… Sort of a rotary deburring gizmo… Don’t push real hard as you’ll make a new and deeper gouge… Take your time and smooth out the booger… I feel for you, wanting to employ your keezer… Sneezles61

Is it a potential artifact from the manufacturing process and not a serious flaw? Seems like too many to be random. Just a thought.

Id think they used a reamer and there where burrs/shavings stuck in the flutes that were release as the ream was being extracted… Slower insert rater combined with a high RPM and more cutting fluid would minimize the the problemo… Some where they are just slamming the reams in and out… not caring, the the ream becomes dull and well… Read from the beginning again… Sneezles61

I drilled the first one I got last week with a 3/16" drill bit and it looks ok. What I’m worried about is the spot I can’t see. Perfect spot for something to funk up my beer. I grabbed a 3/16" chainsaw file from Lowes this morning to try. Is this a spot that will cause foaming?

If there is something protruding INTO the line, yes… I pocket/depression no… The pocket will create an area where a small amount of beer can sit quietly and become funky under some conditions… Namely warmer… And stagnant… Keeping it cold and of course cleaning will close to eliminate the potential… Does that file fit in the bore? Not all files are straight as an arrow… Carefully try it by hand first … Sneezles61

Ok yeah it looks pretty good but yes I will check it when I get home from work.

So I just the 3/16" file down the bore and cleaned it up on the first one I got. Also one of the better looking of the second pair I received. The replacement one comes this afternoon. Hoping it looks better but if not I have four shanks now. I’ll just the best of the other two to fill up the collar.

Added a 1/2 piece of oak on the back of the collar. Used my pocket hole drill bit to counter sink the screws to attach it. Mostly to make the overhang on the front match the sides. I used a router to round over the inside edges of the 2x6 more than they come just to make sure the lid fit down into the frame fully. It has an angled raised section inside of the seal. Drilled the holes for the hinges through the 1/2" oak to drive the screws into the 2x6.

1 Like

The replacement shank was exactly as it should be and did not have any voids in the bore. A little rough but I’m not worried about a perfectly smooth bore. Just didn’t want a spot that I couldn’t see if it was clean.

Also sent Kegco a message on their own website and Beverage Factory returned my message. I asked if they are affiliated with Kegco and they said Kegco, Beverage Factory and Allavino and all in the same. So they offered to process a replacement order for the Amazon ones or process a refund. Super happy with their customer service. I’ll be buying all my kegging hardware from them.

Sucks going through the process but it sounds as if they’re taking care of you. Build looks great so far!

Used silicone to attach the collar this morning. Hooked up the hose to shank and attached faucet. Tested out with the length of tubing I had with picnic tap. Seems good for now.

Added a layer of insulation I had from my mash tun.

1 Like