Scottish Ale Yeast substitutes

Are there any acceptable substitutes for Scottish yeast? My LHBS doesn’t carry any, and I’m really eager to get going on this recipe I have rather than waiting a week for the dry yeast to come in the mail.

I use Fermentis US-05 in my Scottish 70/-, and it turned out awesome.

Really, most low ABV Scottish ales are meant to let the malt shine through, and a super clean yeast like US-05 lets this happen.

I’d use S04 British ale yeast, it leaves a little more residual sweetness and a little more fruitiness than US05.

+1 on the S-04, it works well for the style, and KISS Brew’s comment is right on target: the yeast shouldn’t get in the way of the malt on a Scottish Ale.

WY1056 is always a great yeast for Scottish/Scotch ales.

Thanks guys!

I think S04 and Wyeast 1968 are the same? I always use 1968 with great results for the same reasons above. It flocculates and clears really well,

I think S04 and Wyeast 1968 are the same? I always use 1968 with great results for the same reasons above. It flocculates and clears really well,[/quote]

I’m pretty sure S-04 is equivalent to Wyeast 1099, not 1968. I can find a lot of forum posts backing this up via Google, but no authoritative looking sources at the moment.

This post at HBT

might be useful, but I can’t verify most of its information.