Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Scottish Ale Yeast substitutes

Are there any acceptable substitutes for Scottish yeast? My LHBS doesn’t carry any, and I’m really eager to get going on this recipe I have rather than waiting a week for the dry yeast to come in the mail.

I use Fermentis US-05 in my Scottish 70/-, and it turned out awesome.

Really, most low ABV Scottish ales are meant to let the malt shine through, and a super clean yeast like US-05 lets this happen.

I’d use S04 British ale yeast, it leaves a little more residual sweetness and a little more fruitiness than US05.

+1 on the S-04, it works well for the style, and KISS Brew’s comment is right on target: the yeast shouldn’t get in the way of the malt on a Scottish Ale.

WY1056 is always a great yeast for Scottish/Scotch ales.

Thanks guys!

I think S04 and Wyeast 1968 are the same? I always use 1968 with great results for the same reasons above. It flocculates and clears really well,

I think S04 and Wyeast 1968 are the same? I always use 1968 with great results for the same reasons above. It flocculates and clears really well,[/quote]

I’m pretty sure S-04 is equivalent to Wyeast 1099, not 1968. I can find a lot of forum posts backing this up via Google, but no authoritative looking sources at the moment.

This post at HBT

might be useful, but I can’t verify most of its information.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com