Scotch Ale Question

We made the NB Wee Heavy Scotch Ale back in December and secondaried it about 3 weeks ago. I figure it’ll be ready to drink in April. I plan to keg this one and wondered: When it can go in? Can some of the long term conditioning be done in the keg? Do I use priming sugar?

If you have enough kegs it’s the best pace to store your beer. I do it all the time. I even recommend it to brewers who don’t keg for serving. You can prime them with sugar or rack before fermentation is complete. I rack them in and shoot some co2 to seal them and stick them in a corner or snow bank for lagers

2 Likes

I don’t think there is a better container to store your brew in. And best of all. you need a sample? Just put the tapper to it and see how well its doing without opening it up! Sneezles61

2 Likes

It might be ready to drink right now. Did you taste a sample? If it tastes good right now, keg it now and drink it! In any case, you can keg and condition in the keg if you can spare the keg. If you prime it, you’ll still need a CO2 setup to push out more than a couple of pints (not sure if you knew this – just making sure).

2 Likes

Sounds like the We Heavy needs to be a Wee Keggy. (sorry) I’ll rack it in, check the chart, and and put some CO2 on it. Thanks all!

2 Likes

In the fridge at 34 for cold crashing. Kegging and gas on Sunday :sunglasses:

So being the patient guy I am, I kegged it today and hit 'er with the gas. Actually I read on here there’s no real reason to cold crash a dark stout as you can’t tell it’s cloudy. Anyway, put 30 psi on it and rolled it. Left 10 on in the fridge at 34DF. Just for giggles poured a half pint for a taster. Not bad and even better, since I brewed it for my wife, she loves it! I’m super interested to taste it after it gets carbed up. :beers:

1 Like

Please, give er time to carb… Sneezles61

1 Like

Oh yeah, it’s the wife’s beer. LOL I have a session that’s almost ready for the keg. That one will be in serious danger! :scream:

1 Like

Just as a follow up - this beer was killer! Wife loved it, friends loved it. Amazing how fast the keg went. Got the next recipe put together and ready to rock!

1 Like