Sanitizing oxygen absorbing bottle caps

So I used to bottle all my beer then moved to kegs and never looked back. However I need to bottle some for my in- laws and neighbors. I have always during bottling, filled a little Tupperware container with sanitizer and put about 10 caps at a time in there and used them within 10 min or so after. I just today read a note on another Brewer supply site that warned against getting the caps wet or sanitizing prior to bottling as it would activate and use up the oxygen absorbing feature. I am wondering if they mean don’t soak them like the day before using…or are they used up as soon as they hit liquid? I have never had any issue and as a matter of fact I opened a Belgian tripel the other day that I bottled last March and it was great.
I am not sure of the science behind the oxygen absorbing material on the cap so I have m idea at what rate it does its thing.

You’re fine. From what I learned on this forum, the reaction is not immediate. However, any leftover bottle caps in sanitizer will not have any oxygen absorbing capability left for the next bottling session. So don’t soak anymore than you need for that bottling session.

3 Likes

Not sure how much those o2 absorbing caps do anyway Especially when bottle conditioning. I use them their cheap enough

Hard to say, but it’s cheap insurance. Might be just mental, but I think my hoppy beers keep their aroma a bit longer with them. Confirmation bias? Probably. But if the thought that I used them makes me think the beer tastes better, good enough.

1 Like

I just dunk mine quickly in starsan immediately before capping.

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

Thanks, I have never had any issues when bottle conditioning. These bottles are being filled from my keg so I just want to be as sure as I can that when people drink the beer over the few weeks / couple of months after I give it to them that it will still be good. I agree the caps can’t possibly absorb all that much.

I’ve always thought O2 absorbing caps were a bit of a gimmick anyway. If you’re using a bottle filler from the keg that lets you purge the bottles, then it shouldn’t matter either way.

1 Like

I will put a few in at a time as I bottle from the keg… just a few minutes is all it says will do the job! Sneezles61

This sounds to me like a very good idea. I have always soaked mine but this makes great sense. Thanks for entering your idea.