Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Sanitizing 22oz bottles

I hate sanitizing bottles, does anyone have any ways you’ve found to do this quickly and easily?

Often, I fill a big cooler with Star San and drop my bombers in there, but it takes forever, uses a lot of sanitizer and is a mess.

Looking for something simpler that still gets 'em clean!

thanks!

I use the Vinator. A couple shots in the bottle, on to the tree and it’s ready. It really speeds up the process.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/vina ... inser.html

:cheers:

I just use one of those bed pan thingys you get from the hospital. Uses about a gallon or less. holds 2 22oz at a time.
Just dip em in there swish around and dump back in. while you filling those throw 2 more back in.

I use bombers b/c they are just a little less “painintheass” than 12’s. My approach is to ensure that every bottle is well rinsed after drinking the brew. Irrigate, shake, drain, repeat a couple 3 times. Drip dry upside down and store. I use a large storage container for my Star San and submerge about 10 bottles at a time for bottling. Fill, shake and drain. Fill with beer.

And one little trick I found is to use the door of your dishwasher for bottling. It keeps all liquids contained and easily drained into the dishwasher upon completion.

+1 to the vinator and bottle tree. dude, that seriously halved the time it takes for me to bottle a batch.

Rinse/wash after use. Oven @ 350F for an hour. Super easy, just takes time. I usually put them in the oven the night before and have my husband fire up and turn off the oven so they are cooling when I arrive home from work.

Right before I bottle, I just shoot a couple of pumps of starsan from a spray bottle (set to a wide angle spray) into each bottle and then put them on my bottle tree. It uses less starsan, is faster, and much easier. I haven’t had any problems with it yet. A spray bottle is also cheaper than a vinator.

Agreed, way worth the purchase. That and a bottle tree to put them on makes sanitizing bottles much, much easier.

Agreed, way worth the purchase. That and a bottle tree to put them on makes sanitizing bottles much, much easier.[/quote]

+2 The vinator halved the time I spent sanitizing.

I use the vinator, but I saved on the bottle tree by buying an over-the-door hanging shoe rack and cutting the loops to give me six rows of vertical wire poles. It collapses down when I’m not using it, I can hang it from anything, or I can lean it up against the wall. They look like this before I get out the tin snips.

http://www.amazon.com/Neu-Home-Over-Doo ... 523&sr=8-7

+1 to what Steppedonapoptop does. Use a fermentor or homer bucket. I can sanitize about 12-15 bottles at a time. And star san is good for a while. So when done, I throw a lid on the bucket and pull it out next time I need to sanitize.

BUT… I just bought a used single tap kegerator and converted it over to a 2 tap system! So I’ll be kegging my first 2 beers this weekend. I am SOOOO looking forward to NOT bottling! I have a Vienna Calypso IPA dry hopping right now and a Fest-Weise all ready to go. I’m so excited! I feel like at 6yr old kid on Christmas Eve.

Cheap garden tank sprayer set on fan spray and a tub…

@ Dobe12, thanks pal! No one ever agrees with my tactics :wink:

Mike

I’ll add a +2 to dunking a dozen bombers in a bucket of StarSan and then bottle-treeing to drain. I let them soak for two minutes while I do something useful, like move the fermenters into place.

This is how I do it. Give each bottle about 5 sprays, put my thumb over the end or a piece of foil, then shake the bottle some. Then into the freezer, because I bottle from the keg.

+1 to the vinator. Got this when I was just making wine. Works great for beer bottles too. Just a couple squirts on the vinator and then onto the bottle tree to drain for a bit. I can get everything else ready while they’re draining.

So none of you give the bottles a quick 1-2 with a bottle brush before you sanitize? Even bottles that I rinse out after emptying, still get a little soak and scrub before I sanitize and air dry. Maybe I am doing way too much work?

I don’t worry about it if the bottles are rinsed right after being empty. If they’re allowed to dry out before I get to them, then I’ll give them a bit of a scrub. That’s pretty rare though. Nearly all of my bottles just get a rinse and then stored until it’s time to bottle.

+1. I rinse well with hot water after I pour a beer. Let it dry and then store. Sanitize on bottling day. I only scrub bottles that I haven’t yet already scrubbed.

Juggling bottles in a bucket of sanitizer is fine until you drop a slippery bottle back in and shatter 2-3 of them at once. Plus, sanitizer is terrible for drying out your skin. The Vinator and bottle tree is an indispensable piece of equipment for anybody bottling beer or wine.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com