Sam Adams Boston Lager clone

Looking for an existing kit or something close to Sam Adams Boston Lager. Any ideas?

90% 2-row 10% crystal 60L Mittelfrue hops. I make it alot. A damn good lager. I do .5 oz magnum at 60. Then .5 oz Mittelfrue at 20 another .5 whirlpool, then dry hop another oz. Looking for 30 IBU and 5.5% ABV

3 Likes

I bet it’s better than the original.

1 Like

That is the original recipe. But fresh is always better

1 Like

I wish the poster @jimr would post back. If he needs to convert it to extract we could explain it

Sorry been really busy! I was hoping Northern had an extract kit that was close to Sam Adams. I haven’t made the jump to all grain still doing strictly extract.

NB does have a clone. You can find it here.

That kit will get you a nice beer. Excellent choice of hops. If I were doing it I’d bitter with magnum like @brew_cat but that kit is a sure fire recipe for a good lager if you treat it right.

Thanks for the help everyone. Was wondering if the John Q would be close

Looked at the ingredients for John Q. Would you replace the Hallertau or the Hersbrucker with Magum?

If you have magnum, I would replace the two 60 minute charges with the appropriate amount of magnum to hit the bittering target. If you’re ordering the kit then I’d just use what comes with it. You won’t notice any difference. Magnum is just a higher AA hop that’s used for bittering and takes quite a bit less. If you don’t have it you’d have to buy an ounce minimum and you probably wouldn’t use half of it in a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the info. I will probably just do the kit as directed then.

3 Likes