1 Like

Nah just drinking coffee playing with my phone

Spilt on yer phone to amp up the speedā€¦
I need to go pour mine
Sneezles61

Coffee cup needs a labelā€¦ ā€œpretend Iā€™m beerā€
Sneezles61

See, its only been a few daysā€¦
Aw nutsā€¦ Iā€™m getting my starter going nowā€¦ See if the old yeast is any goodā€¦
Sneezles61

1 Like

Updateā€¦ Its foamy on topā€¦ BUT
My orange juice has been out of the rotation as of latelyā€¦ it DOES have some foam on it alsoā€¦ Soooo ā€¦ I suspect Iā€™ll have a Mimosa as I set up to brew tomorrow AMā€¦ Gambrinus is in controlā€¦
Sneezles61

All this talk about Saison and I had never brewed one so yesterday I did. Based loosely on a Jamil recipe I found.

20 gallons

45lbs Pilsner
3lb Munich 10L
.5 lb cara Munich 60L
4lb table sugar that I forgot to add :scream:

7oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 3.2 60min
3oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 3.2 10min
Wyeast 3724 gallon starter

OG 1.070

This was the Pilsner I got from my LHBS

Temps looked good.

I actually set the HLT to 172 since it loses a little on the way to the MT, it didnā€™t reach it yetā€¦

Any practical way to add the sugar now that fermentation has started? 1.070 is in the high range for Saisons so maybe just let it go without it?

1 Like

Well Napoleon called saison the champagne of beers so what he was drinking must have been pretty dry. Are you saying the OG was .070 before the sugar? You could dilute some in water and add. Gotta get some in there IMO. Fermemt warm please

Odd recipe .5 of caramunich in 45lb of pilsner? I like wheat flakes instead of the sugar but to late for that

So exciting all this Saison action!

1 Like

Iā€™d like a chance to try Swaen maltsā€¦ I couldnā€™t brew yesterdayā€¦ Way too nice outā€¦ rain coming in beginning of next weekā€¦ My yeast is good, so its waiting in cold storageā€¦
So Brew Catā€¦ Miller high life is what Napoleon was drinking? :joy: Just clowningā€¦
Sneezles61

2 Likes

I use a fair amount of Belgian Pils in my Saisons to get closer to the terroir. Prolly canā€™t tell the difference.

Beat me to itšŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Well originally the miller slogan in the jungle was " the champagne of bottled beer". We owe alot of things we take for granted to Napoleon

1 Like

Yes before the sugar since I didnā€™t add any. While cleaning up I noticed the 4lb bag of sugar sitting on a table. Woops. I could dilute it in water then add it along the way most any time but that would add more liquid. Since I got that high a gravity, maybe best to leave it.

I have it at about 68Ā° right now. Warmer?

I generally controlled the temp only for first day or so, 68* sounds ok, just to make sure it didnā€™t take off like a rocket. Then I would let it free rise to mid 70s or higher depending on how warm the house was.

:joy:Even though the exbeeriment above didnā€™t pan outā€¦shrugs. Worked for me. No hint of stalling. My saisons dried out/attenuated more than those in the study(generally @1.001-1.002), and I didnā€™t need or use heat to maintain a steady active fermentationā€¦and they had plenty of saison character.

Another good recent article (from Drew)on saisons, and brewing techniques such as mentioned above:

Once I get to brewingā€¦ Iā€™m setting a steel shop chair out the back doorā€¦ East side of the houseā€¦ That is where the fermenter will sitā€¦ Mid 50ā€™s at nightā€¦ 80 during the dayā€¦
Sneezles61

1 Like

warmer. Let it go up.

1 Like