Saison Style

That article you posted is spot on. Saisons don’t have to be funky, they can be very crisp and clean but with incredible complexity. This is a yeast expressive style true but not much needs to be done to it to make the yeast shine

1 Like

They don’t need to be but they sure are good when they are. Funky is not really a true description though.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of the Beechum saison article, he emphasizes the basics, but he also notes that funky wild strains do you have their place and can be done well….with some examples from some heavyweight saison brewers.

Really a great style that I need to get busy planning a return to.

1 Like

OK I turned off the window A/C that blows on my 12 gallon conical and let the ice packs melt in the swamp coolers the two buckets are in. It is supposed to be warm today and very warm tomorrow so warming up it will be.

At the cool temps now activity is slow so I expect a monster by this afternoon. Not sure I am brave enough to pull the bubblers and just slap aluminum foil over the top yet.

Im thinking to leave my wort to cool overnight in the orchard with just a towel over it then add the saison yeast in the morning with the airlock. I’ve collected wild yest from my yard and built it up and used it before to no I’ll effect other than coming out supey dry which may be appropriate in this style. Thats whats fun about a saison anything goes

1 Like

a cheesecloth or brewing in a bag over the top would still let the wild yeast in. I don’t know about a towel though yeast are 5 to 10 microns. A paper coffee filter filters in the 10 micron range so anything more dense than a coffee filter will filter out the yeast IMO

Throw in a handful of blueberries?
I’m waiting for rain to brew… Tomorrow or Monday…
Sneezles61

I’ll use a brew bag. I could throw in blueberry or gooseberry or even maybe currents. I just made some sourdough from captured yeast. The predough fermentation was wild. It looked like it was boiling

2 Likes

I’d like to try something on that order… but first… I’ve gotta get to brewing…
A one gallon batch now sounds interesting… when thinking of a wild yeast fermentation… I’ve gotta find my one gallon jugs and air locks now… (oh where did I put you?)
Sneezles61

1 Like

Got the saison going today. Plenty of wheat pretty straight forward. Going to chill it slowly in an ice bath to about 90°. I’ll toss in some black currants from the garden then leave overnight in the orchard. Ill pitch some belle saison in the morning

1 Like

Since nobody talked me out of it i threw in 6 oz’s of currants. Its still in the basement and it’s starting to fermemt around the currants that are floating on top. Its still stupid hot out so I’ll wait for sundown to move it outside

5 Likes

I like your willingness to just ‘do it.’ Love to hear how it turns out!

1 Like

Someone has to do it

3 Likes

I vote you name this one “Currant Affairs” :grin:

5 Likes

Currantly… Brew Cat is the leader too! :joy: No-one should talk you out of a fun X-beerment like this…
Non-stop company and family gathers… keeping me away…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Not sure if im hijacking @squeegeethree s thread sorry. This morning since the outside temp is 80° that’s where its at so i put it in an ice bath I’ll pitch the yeast at 70°

2 Likes

Its kinda “Saison-y” threads… yes?.
We have mornings about 55F… Days are getting close 80F… I feel this is good fermenting for Saison… Which I don’t know from first hand experience… yet…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Don’t feel hijacked. I’m really excited to have y’all experimenting in the style. It’s a lot of fun.

1 Like

First off happy Independence Day gang.

My first Saison is at the 10 day mark and I’m getting a 1.040 gravity. Sample tastes sweet but fine. I understand Saisons can be slow going but this seems like too long for only a .030 drop. Fermenter is at 76°. One gallon starter for 19 gallons of wort split into 10 in conical 5 & 4 in buckets. Sample was from conical side valve.
Thoughts?

2 Likes

Geez, is it that " head pressure" thingy?
Almost so high right now… Very quietly put yer paddle in there and gently nudge it into a swirl? I’d think theres enough yeast and sugar to clean up what little O2 brought in…
Yes, Happy 4th to all of you!! :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

2 Likes