Saison Style

Years ago I was at a brewfest and Troegs had a booth there. I had never heard of them until then. They offered (generous) samples of Mad Elf. It was wonderful so I kept hitting them up for more. At 11% I was happy to have a ride home.

1 Like

But dry brews can take any adjustment as you drink so well… I learned that from my ciders…
Brew Cat… what wine?
Sneezles61

White wine especially is nice. The pinot grigio that i fermented sweet added some nice acidity

Saison yeast is one of my favorites to work with. I’m big fan of the style. I brew about 10 a year some not so traditional Saisons. Its one of the many strains that i use for some of my Sours and fruited Sours. Some of my summer recipes are Spiced not Winter Spiced, but with Cardamom Mustard seeds Coriander and other spices.

1 Like

Welcome back!
Sneezles61

I must confess that I’ve let saison fall out of my rotation, despite my choice above…I haven’t been able to source the liquid yeast I always used from Wyeast and I dumped all the old yeast bank during the long hiatus from brewing w the move.
Maybe I’ll change that up soon if I can roadtrip for some this Spring.
Good thread here where you will recognize some familiar names and some old friends…

BY125, RVA 261 Saison I, WLP565 - Belgian Saison, and WY3724 - Belgian Saison™ are all the DuPont strain.
From one of my favorite sources the Milk The Funk Wiki.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Saccharomyces

I used the Wyeast 3724 exclusively… given the success I just had with the dry hefewezen yeast(tapped it today…yummm) I’ll have to check out the dry DuPont options, thanks!

You might want to research that the Saison strain you use is not a “killer” strain.

I don’t think there is much worry about that. I think its pretty obsure

There are a fair amount of killer strains out there. They are handy

Thank you!I I been around just been pretty busy last few months. Popping in and there.

1 Like

This is still one of my favorite Fruited Saison recipes
Batch size: 5 Gallons
ABV: 6.6%
IBUs: 33

11 lbs Pislner Malt

1 lb. Aromatic

8 oz. Flaked Oats

Hops

3/4 oz. Columbus 13%a, 60 minutes

1/4 oz. Columbus 13%a, 15 minutes

1/2 oz. Styrian Goldings 5%a, 15 minutes

Yeast: White Labs WLP 565 Saison I or Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison
Mash all grains for 1 hour at 150 degrees.
Add 5 pounds of cherries to secondary

2 Likes

Do like to brew saisons. I do use. Saison yeast but been brewing with kveik oyl061 as well both beers taste wise come out nice

Squeegee… can this one be brought back?
Its time for me to give this style a chance…
Sneezles61

Ooh that makes me happy. The key to a saison is your yeast choice IMO. Which yeast purveyor/ manufacturer is your preferred?

1 Like

“Belle Saison yeast” you already have I see from the spending valve thread.

1 Like

The grist… I looked around and seems that 2 row is common… Nothing too fancy.
Not bitter? I see that the water isn’t too big a factor, whew… I did read the beer hunters Saison article…
I’ll go look for more info this AM… what ever you can add would be good also.
Sneezles61

Went a looking… I like the way Drew Beechum delivers his thoughts on Saison… And its a yeast driven brew… Seems the yeast I have is… boring… just my luck… Well, Its were I’ll start…
A dry finish… big rocky heads… and a spicy-earthy, tongue slapping in the middle… THIS will push my bland, yeast taste buds off the edge…
Sneezles61

Haha. You can do it.
I like some wheat in my saisons. I also like the fruitier hops in my saisons. Also do not be afraid to under pitch and under oxygenate trying to increase fruity esthers.

I really liked OYL-500 when I used it because it seemed to downplay the phenols and lean more towards the fruit side of yeast flavors.

1 Like