Saison-Ginger

No luck on Beer recipe exchange, anyone use ginger in a Saison or any other beer before? Looking for a tropical/ginger flavor, never used ginger in a beer before…

This is for a 10G batch, I know Amarillo isn’t traditional for a Saison, but I have a 1# bag open and it seems like a Saison with a tropical/citrus splash might be good. Will an oz of ginger be noticeable, should it be added sooner/dry ‘hopped’? Making a starter, not just using 1 package of yeast…

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.2 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.9 %
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 27.6 IBUs
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 5.9 %
1.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 5.0 mins) Herb 5 -
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml] Yeast

I have made one with 1oz of Crystallized Ginger. I bottled all of it but 1 gallon that I add brett to and it came out fantastic.

I bottled the Les Saisonniers kit
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/les-saisonniers-saison-de-table-extract-product-group.html
last week. I used a 1oz mixture or ginger, white pepper and orange peel per the instructions.

It is still young, but I think it turned out very good. I will take a few bottles to brew club in a few weeks for feedback. Wife said it has “bite”, which it does, but it’s not over the top. Much less so than, say, a Blenheim Ginger Ale soda.

I have not made a bad Saison kit from NB. My favorite so far is the Petite, and this might be in 2nd place.

I made the Saisonniers again. Really easy. 3lbs Pilsen DME and 1lb Wheat DME. I used French Striesspalt hops for 60 minutes. For spices I chopped up 1/2 ounce of ginger, 1/2 ounce white pepper and peel from a medium naval orange. Wyeast French Saison yeast at 80F for 2 weeks. OG was 1.035, FG was (not kidding) 1.003.

One of my best brews to date. I will save a few bottles to enter into a competition later this spring.

The first time I made this I 'dry hopped with the ginger and liked it more than boiling for 5 min, more of a subdued ginger flavor. You aren’t kidding about the French Saison being a beast, mine went from 1.046 to 1.002

why not just boil some peeled chopped ginger separately and add the infusion once fermentation has completed? You could also do a tincture with vodka or grain alcohol and just add it to taste (either at kegging or right before bottling)

[quote=“Pietro”]You could also do a tincture with vodka or grain alcohol and just add it to taste (either at kegging or right before bottling)[/quote]+1 This is what I would do, much easier to get exactly the right amount of ginger in the finished beer.

Very interesting ideas. Hadn’t thought of dry hopping with ginger. And I never would have come up with a tincture idea…

[quote=“MaddMatt”]I made the Saisonniers again. Really easy. 3lbs Pilsen DME and 1lb Wheat DME. I used French Striesspalt hops for 60 minutes. For spices I chopped up 1/2 ounce of ginger, 1/2 ounce white pepper and peel from a medium naval orange. Wyeast French Saison yeast at 80F for 2 weeks. OG was 1.035, FG was (not kidding) 1.003.

One of my best brews to date. I will save a few bottles to enter into a competition later this spring.[/quote]

I did enter this in Carolina Brewmaster’s US Open in May. I did not medal with it. One judge scored it very high, a 37 or 38 I think. The other judge gave it a 25. The one judge that scored it a 37 was recently awarded the distinction of master judge, so I’ll take his word over the other one :slight_smile:

Plan to make this again soon. It’s just too easy and too good.