Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Saison fermenting after 2 weeks -- is this OK?

Hi. First-time NB brewer here. I went with Petite Saison d’Ete (w/ dry yeast) bc it’s been so warm here. Pitched 14 days ago. Within a couple of hours, bubbling in the airlock was vigorous; then moderate over next few days. Since then, occasional bubbling, and the airlock liquid is in the outlet chamber. Temps were initially 75-80 degrees; past several days about 75, but we’re expecting more heat this week. I don’t have a hydrometer. Does it sound like everything is still OK w/ this batch? What should I look for to assess its readiness for bottling? (I heard when the liquid levels in the airlock chambers are the same it should be ready.) Thx so much for any suggestions.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! It’s likely done but without a hydrometer you can’t be 100% sure especially since this is your first batch. The sporadic bubbling you’re seeing now is probably from CO2 occasionally coming out of solution with the changes in temp. I know there are folks that never use a hydrometer but I suggest you get one. For the few bucks it’s cheap insurance to prevent bottle bombs. I don’t use mine on every batch but I do use it if I’m not sure it’s done. Hope this helps and happy brewing!

1 Like

Everything sounds fine to me with your saison. If you cannot get your hands on a hydrometer for a reading then wait another 2 weeks and bottle.

2 Likes

Helps tremendously. I’ll have a hydrometer for my next brew. Thx WMNoob!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m gonna try to be patient! Thx squeegeethree. Really appreciate your help.

I brewed the same recipe a few years ago. For me it took about 3.5 weeks to finish at about 73 F. Patience.

1 Like

Thx much. It’s 2.5 weeks now, but I’ll be patient.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com