Saflager 35/70 and apples?

So I believe someone mentioned an apple flavor from underpitching 35/70? So I sampled my German Pilsner after 3 weeks of lagering and the first thing I thought was it had sort of a apple cider character. It’s only on initial sip and the finish has a nice maltiness and a good hop bitterness but this has me a bit concerned. I gave my wife a sample without saying anything and the first thing she said was “it’s kinda funky. Tastes a little like apples”

Kinda curious if anyone has experienced this and if they have any idea how to prevent this in the future and if it will fade with extended lagering.

[quote=“mattnaik”]So I believe someone mentioned an apple flavor from underpitching 35/70? So I sampled my German Pilsner after 3 weeks of lagering and the first thing I thought was it had sort of a apple cider character. It’s only on initial sip and the finish has a nice maltiness and a good hop bitterness but this has me a bit concerned. I gave my wife a sample without saying anything and the first thing she said was “it’s kinda funky. Tastes a little like apples”

Kinda curious if anyone has experienced this and if they have any idea how to prevent this in the future and if it will fade with extended lagering.[/quote]

I have. I did a swarzbier a while back with 35/70 (two packs, pitched dry) that had a slight apple “tang” to it initially. It aged out after about three weeks or so. Come to think of it, I did a Czech pils with 2278 and a 2l starter that had a bit more “forward” initial apple flavor to it than the swarzbier did, but it also aged out nicely.

I usually get that w/ 35/70, best bet is to try 34/70, should take care of it :wink:

Seriously though, use fresh yeast, pitch enough yeast, pitch cold, do a diacetyl rest, rehydrate the dry yeast…

Lagering longer might fix the problem as the yeast need a longer time to cleanup due to the underpitching. If you just cold crashed to lager and underpitched, it may still work, try slowly lowering the temp to lager temps.

Might be Acetaldehyde:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Green_apples

[quote=“stickboy”]I usually get that w/ 35/70, best bet is to try 34/70, should take care of it :wink:

Seriously though, use fresh yeast, pitch enough yeast, pitch cold, do a diacetyl rest, rehydrate the dry yeast…

Lagering longer might fix the problem as the yeast need a longer time to cleanup due to the underpitching. If you just cold crashed to lager and underpitched, it may still work, try slowly lowering the temp to lager temps.

Might be Acetaldehyde:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Green_apples[/quote]

Yeah, 34/70 might be a better bet. :oops:

Lagering took care of the problem in both cases for me, as the apple flavor (I’m sure you’re correct stickboy, it’s acetaldehyde) was only apparent when the beer was still green, and went away after lagering.

[quote=“65SS427”][quote=“stickboy”]I usually get that w/ 35/70, best bet is to try 34/70, should take care of it :wink:

Might be Acetaldehyde:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Green_apples[/quote]

Yeah, 34/70 might be a better bet. :oops:

Lagering took care of the problem in both cases for me, as the apple flavor (I’m sure you’re correct stickboy, it’s acetaldehyde) was only apparent when the beer was still green, and went away after lagering.[/quote]

Haha yes that was my problem using 35/70 instead of 34/70!

Great to hear that the flavor will fade. I was going to bottle this week but I may wait another week or so.