Safale us 05

This stuff is a beast. Went from 1.046 to 1.006 in 6 days.
Used it with my first partial mash adlib recipe with stuff i had originally bought to make a pumpkin beer.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112653

Anyone using this yeast ever get subtle fruity flavors peach/apricot maybe??. I tasted the sample not sure if i like it but its definitly interesting. I alternate between thinking i taste the “cat piss” of cluster hops that people talk about or a subtle pleasant fruity flavor. I know that sounds weird cat piss or pleasant but i took like 15 sips and couldnt figure it out. Beers only 6 days old so im still hopeful time help…

My experience with us05 is its pretty clean. In fact, its a pretty good choice for mock lagers, if you can keep it on the low end of its temp range. Give it some time.

What temp did you ferment at? I think 05 is pretty clean if you use it right.

This is probably the cleanest dry ale yeast out there. I can’t think of any major problems I’ve had with it.

66-68. Its likely not fruit flavors from yeast maybe wishful thining? I think its something with the cluster hops, The more i tried it the more i got the black current/catpiss taste they are known for.

Fermented warm it will give off some esters. I use it in the 50’s routinely for lager-like results.

I usually try to keep it around 64F. very clean yeast. I always have some on hand.

i have experienced peach flavors in a pale ale i made. Fermented in low 60’s. Like 62F if i remember correctly.

After doing some more searches its not just me that got peach/apricot flavors from us05. I read this regarding pretty much the same question i asked. “Peach is sulfur-based flavor/aroma. Sulfur containing compounds are produced from stressed yeast and most commonly seen when fermented cool”

What i dont get is why some get the peach flavor and others get a clean finish. Any ideas? Aeration?

if you want the peach stank, throw this in, but it might be weird with a pumpkin ale: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp655.html

i’ve had good results with an 05 for a week, then cherries and the belgian sour mix. if you want a dessert taste, maybe coffee and the sour. might turn out well.

[quote=“beerme11”]After doing some more searches its not just me that got peach/apricot flavors from us05. I read this regarding pretty much the same question i asked. “Peach is sulfur-based flavor/aroma. Sulfur containing compounds are produced from stressed yeast and most commonly seen when fermented cool”

What i dont get is why some get the peach flavor and others get a clean finish. Any ideas? Aeration?[/quote]

I’m one of those who posted about us05 doing some odd things for me at lower temps, over on HBT. I took a gamble on it again, but maintained 67 in my ferment fridge and found a perfectly clean beer with the hop punch the Chico strain is known for. I’ve used it several times since then and never lower than 67f, and its been great. I know a lot of people have reported great ferments with us05 anywhere from high 50’s to lower 60’s… I’m just not one of them.