S-33

Anyone using this yeast have problems with higher than expected F G?

Don’t know what you expect.

S-33, contrary to fermentis product description, is an English (edme) strain with medium attenuation.

I’ve found that racking to secondary often kicks off more activity.

[quote=“simple”]Don’t know what you expect.

S-33, contrary to fermentis product description, is an English (edme) strain with medium attenuation.

I’ve found that racking to secondary often kicks off more activity.[/quote]

I know it’s an English strain, I used it in a pale ale and a porter.
I used one pack of it along with a pack of Munton’s in a 1.050 pale ale that was 1.014 in nine days, then 1.010 at three weeks, which is pretty high attenuation for two low-medium attenuators, when I bottled. The porter was fermented with just the S-33 and stopped at 1.022.
I may have to give the secondary idea a go.

My response my have seemed a bit pedantic , but there are lots of folks thinking s-33 is Belgian and might produce a dry beer.

Yeah 1.022 is pretty high.

I think the little slurp of air the yeast gets during racking helps, despite the howls you may hear about oxidation.

What was the porter recipe?

Make me this of this http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2 … mentation/ .

three gallons
3 3/4 lbs. pale ale malt
1 1/4 lbs. rye malt
12 ozs. British brown malt
12 ozs. chocolate rye malt
8 ozs. carawheat malt
2 ozs. pale chocolate malt
oat hulls
7/8 oz. home grown goldings for 45 minutes
pinch Irish moss plus
1/8 tsp. nutrient for 15 minutes
1 pack S-33
mashed at 154 for 45 minutes.
yeast was pitched at 64f, room temp was 66

three gallons
3 3/4 lbs. pale ale malt
1 1/4 lbs. rye malt
12 ozs. British brown malt
12 ozs. chocolate rye malt
8 ozs. carawheat malt
2 ozs. pale chocolate malt
oat hulls
7/8 oz. home grown goldings for 45 minutes
pinch Irish moss plus
1/8 tsp. nutrient for 15 minutes
1 pack S-33
mashed at 154 for 45 minutes.
yeast was pitched at 64f, room temp was 66[/quote]

You’ve got over 2 lb. of malts that are low in fermentables. In addition, you mashed for only 45 min. which can limit full conversion. I think your fermentation is done.

[quote=“Denny”]
You’ve got over 2 lb. of malts that are low in fermentables. In addition, you mashed for only 45 min. which can limit full conversion. I think your fermentation is done.[/quote]

I switched to 45 minutes mashes quite a few years ago and this is the first batch that hasn’t ended really close to the F G that I expected, but that with the two pounds of low fermentables certainly could explain it. I think it’s done too.
From now on I’m just going to P M Denny with all of my brewing woes. :cheers:

Join the club! :slight_smile:

Was the Pale Ale a three g. batch, and did you pitch a whole packet of both Munton’s and S-33? Seems like a lot of yeast unless you didn’t rehydrate in which case you may have killed off 50% of it from what I’ve read, in which case you may have come out about right on pitch rate.

Also if you direct pitched the 11.5 gr. pack of S-33 and killed 50% of it then you may have slightly under pitched even for 3 G. batch.

I’m no expert on pitch rates and cell counts on various products, but have recently read some things about dry yeast that make me question what I always thought I knew.

Also I have only recently started experimenting with dry yeast and am about half through a ferment with Notty in which I increased my pitch rate by 50% to see how that affects my attenuation. Your attenuation issues caught my attention.

[quote=“Rogan”]Was the Pale Ale a three g. batch, and did you pitch a whole packet of both Munton’s and S-33? Seems like a lot of yeast unless you didn’t rehydrate in which case you may have killed off 50% of it from what I’ve read, in which case you may have come out about right on pitch rate.

Also if you direct pitched the 11.5 gr. pack of S-33 and killed 50% of it then you may have slightly under pitched even for 3 G. batch.

I’m no expert on pitch rates and cell counts on various products, but have recently read some things about dry yeast that make me question what I always thought I knew.

Also I have only recently started experimenting with dry yeast and am about half through a ferment with Notty in which I increased my pitch rate by 50% to see how that affects my attenuation. Your attenuation issues caught my attention.[/quote]

the pale was a three gallon batch also and I didn’t rehydrate.
From the way the ferment started I think it was enough yeast: pitched at 3 pm with signs of fermentation visible at 10 pm and the airlock was burping once a second the next morning.
I pretty much always just toss in the pack of yeast and have never had any issues before, including one pack of S-04 in a three gallon batch of barleywine.