Rye

I was just told on another forum that some one else was having a similar problem tasting the rye, and it was found that the rye wasn’t crushed well as it’s smaller than the barley. This could very well be my problem as I didn’t notice the guy change anything on the mill, not to say i was watching well enough to say I would have though…

How hard would it be to deal with rye at home without a mill and do a good job?

[quote=“rodwha”]I was just told on another forum that some one else was having a similar problem tasting the rye, and it was found that the rye wasn’t crushed well as it’s smaller than the barley. This could very well be my problem as I didn’t notice the guy change anything on the mill, not to say i was watching well enough to say I would have though…

How hard would it be to deal with rye at home without a mill and do a good job?[/quote]

Well, obviously you have to mill it whether you do it at home or buy it milled. One option is to run the rye through the mill twice. I just use a small enough ap on my mill so that I can mill the rye with all the other grains.

I don’t have a mill (yet) at home and would either have to roll it with a pin or smash it with a tenderizer. A bit archaic, but if it works… I have to wonder how well the LHBS milled it. I assume it wasn’t at it’s best.

They tend to keep the gap wide. Lower efficiency versus a stuck mash. A grain mill is a good upgrade, IMO. You can start buying grains in bulk, saving you money. You can condition your grain and run it through at a tighter gap. A LHBS probably won’t let you do that.

Are we talking about rye malt or unmalted rye here?

I’m talking about rye malt. I thought that the OP was, too.

[quote=“rodwha”]I don’t have a mill (yet) at home and would either have to roll it with a pin or smash it with a tenderizer.[/quote]Run it through your blender, a couple handfuls at a time.

I’m talking about rye malt. I thought that the OP was, too.[/quote]
I figured that, not sure unmalted rye is even used in any traditional styles. I’ve got a sack of it but its being fermented for other purposes.

Perhaps you what you heard was in regards to flaked rye, which does need some 2row to convert?? Rye malt does not

Perhaps you what you heard was in regards to flaked rye, which does need some 2row to convert?? Rye malt does not[/quote]

Great point!

My LHBS’s site is being modified, and is down, but it’s likely Briess rye malt that I received from them.

I’d like to get a mill, and be able to stock up on the more common grains. Nice to have extra stuff around so recipes can be modified at the last moment, or, in my recent case, I could change those Mr Beer kits SWMBO found at a garage sale. But I’ll let her buy it for the kitchen so it doesn’t go against my supply spending! I already have to split it between brewing and black powder shooting!

It’s now US-05. Wyeast thought the name was too close to 1056.