Rye

I recently made a rye pale. Yooper instructed me to best utilize the rye for a good taste using 2 lbs in a 5 gal batch. I pushed my brewing expenses and cut it to 1 3/4 lbs. It’s not rye enough. It seems time is working against me here.

So how much is too much? Or is there a such thing? Can I use 40%?

This was my 5.5 gal recipe:

5 lbs pilsen LME (FO)
1 3/4 lbs rye
1 3/4 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb crystal 20
1/2 lb crystal 40
1/4 lb light DME (starter)
1 oz Mt Hood (5.8%) @ 60/15/5 mins
WLP 001/1272

I want a stronger rye punch, but don’t want to overdo it. I assume you can…

I’ve used 40% rye before. It make the rye very prevalent. IMO, you need a minimum of around 20% for it to be noticeable. Most rye malt has enough diastatic power to convert itself.

I heard the opposite, that I needed a matching amount of 2 row to convert it.

My next time I’ll likely try 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs. I’m guessing that’s in the neighborhood of 30%.

Anyone using other hops in their rye? What did you think?

You were misinformed. I’ve used a lot of rye and I have yet to find one that won’t self convert. Some 2 row pale malt won’t hurt at all, but you definitely don’t need an equal amount. Even if the rye didn’t self convert, pale malt can convert at least twice it’s weight of other malt. Here are the specs for Briess rye malt, the brand I use most often. Note that the diastatic power is listed at 105. That’s nearly as high as their 2 row pale malt. It will easily self convert.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets ... yeMalt.pdf

I’m not familiar with the diastatic power number. What does it equate to?

When i made this beer it was first attempt at a mini mash using my little 2 gal Igloo. I found that it did not hold the temperature well at all despite heating it with near boiling water. Since I have tried BIAB, and am shifting now to doing it this way.

I’m not too inclined to jump right on into all grain as my water is quite hard, and what needs to be done to make it useable for lighter beers seems a bit tedious. I’ll try using 1/2 bottled water…

Diastatic power, measured in degrees Lintner, is an indication of the enzymatic power of the malt. The higher the number, the more conversion you get from the malt. Generally, anything above 35 will self convert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastatic_ ... atic_power

[quote=“rodwha”]My next time I’ll likely try 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs. I’m guessing that’s in the neighborhood of 30%.

Anyone using other hops in their rye? What did you think?[/quote]

I use 3 lbs in my red. I borrowed Denny’s hop schedule of Mt Hood and Columbus. Thanks, Denny.

I’m drinking one right now. :cheers:

[quote=“mrv”][quote=“rodwha”]My next time I’ll likely try 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs. I’m guessing that’s in the neighborhood of 30%.

Anyone using other hops in their rye? What did you think?[/quote]

I use 3 lbs in my red. I borrowed Denny’s hop schedule of Mt Hood and Columbus. Thanks, Denny.[/quote]

de nada

Mind sharing this hop schedule?

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DCRyeIPA

There’s a lengthy discussion of it in the recipe section here, too.

Awesome!
Thanks!
:cheers:

[quote=“rodwha”]Awesome!
Thanks!
:cheers: [/quote]

This, too…

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26497&hilit=denny+rye+ipa

I’ve not seen anything about US-56. Is this Fermentis yeast?

Does time mellow the rye taste? I’ve been drinking it again tonight, and it seems less rye like to me.

I have been giving the majority of my beers (this one as well) 4 weeks fermentation, 4 weeks conditioning, and a full week in the fridge to start. It was bottled on 2-20.

I hate to disagree with the great Denny, but I used 10% and it was noticeable. I suggest you do between 10-20% and since I did one with 10% and I liked the level of rye flavor I got out of mine I would not go more than 15%.

Mine was probably near 20% and I’m not satisfied with the amount of rye flavor.
Maybe it has to do with my struggling temperature maintenance?

Interesting…Here were my grains and I had no issues tasting the rye. Hops were chinook, citra and mosaic and us-05 yeast.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.6 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %

I can taste the rye a little bit, but in comparison to the rye wit I had it pales miserably so. I just want it more pronounced.
I must admit to being fairly green with tasting. I’ve been brewing about 2 years and trying all that I can, which isn’t as much as I’d like (though that wouldn’t be so good either I suppose).

Yep.