Rye Pale Ale

What do you think?

ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 30

7.5 lb: 2 -row
1 lb: Munich I
2 lbs: Rye Malt
.5 lb: Crystal 40 (should I up it to one full pound?)

Amarillo @60: 25 IBU (1 oz) (might back off to 20 IBU)
Cascade @5: 5 IBU (.5 oz)

Sa-05 (only American I have on hand and I like the high attenuation which leaves dryness I think accentuates the Rye)

Mash Recommendations? Have heard to add in Protein Rest to help with Rye. Thoughts?

[quote=“mlsouth”]What do you think?

ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 30

7.5 lb: 2 -row
1 lb: Munich I
2 lbs: Rye Malt
.5 lb: Crystal 40 (should I up it to one full pound?)

Amarillo @60: 25 IBU (1 oz) (might back off to 20 IBU)
Cascade @5: 5 IBU (.5 oz)

Sa-05 (only American I have on hand and I like the high attenuation which leaves dryness I think accentuates the Rye)

Mash Recommendations? Have heard to add in Protein Rest to help with Rye. Thoughts?[/quote]

That’s gonna be yummy. You’ll probably be alright with the mash but you may consider some rice hulls. I’d mash a bit higher temps w/ that amount of rye.

I would go 1# C40. Also, maybe more aroma hops? I like Amarillo as bittering hop, too. Also I would shoot for 44 -50 ibus. Maybe a little Columbus or Magnum FWH 10 point bump? That’s all personal opinion. Your recipe will be nice as is and you’ll really notice the rye bite.

thanks. Will probably go with a full pound of C40. I like to back off the hops since I am at altitude (almost 9,000 ft) and hops start tasting bad when you push above about 35. Was going to mash around 155 since I get around 80% attenuation with that yeast. Protein rest?

No need for a protein rest or rice hulls in my experience. And I’ve brewed more than a few rye beers!