Rye IPA

Looking to use up a bunch of specialty grains I have laying around. I need to go get some base malt and yeast and I recently came into some whole leaf Chinook hops so I threw together this recipe. Was thinking of an IPA, maybe with some rye. Any thoughts:

6 lbs Marris Otter
4 lbs rye malt
.5 lb caravienne
.5 lb melanoiden
.5 lb special B
1 oz whole leaf Chinook (60 min)
1 oz whole leaf Chinook (20 min)
1 oz whole leaf Chinook (5 min)
US-05 ale yeast

Also thought about ditching the rye and just using all MO but I’m on the fence.

[quote=“Lytnin”]Looking to use up a bunch of specialty grains I have laying around. I need to go get some base malt and yeast and I recently came into some whole leaf Chinook hops so I threw together this recipe. Was thinking of an IPA, maybe with some rye. Any thoughts:

6 lbs Marris Otter
4 lbs rye malt
.5 lb caravienne
.5 lb melanoiden
.5 lb special B
1 oz whole leaf Chinook (60 min)
1 oz whole leaf Chinook (20 min)
1 oz whole leaf Chinook (5 min)
US-05 ale yeast

Also thought about ditching the rye and just using all MO but I’m on the fence.[/quote]

This will work, but I’d throw in some rice hulls with that much rye malt.

I’d lose either the melanoidin or the Special B. Also, I’ve found that I don’t care for the combo of MO and rye. You might.

Oh no! I was planning a rye best bitter early next year. :cry:
How about golden promise?

How about golden promise?[/quote]

never done Rye with MO - but i have done Rye, Golden promise, and rolled oats with chinook hops (style: pale ale/summer ale). It turned out to be a very nice spring beer. Personally, i thought the malts complimented each-other

How about golden promise?[/quote]

never done Rye with MO - but i have done Rye, Golden promise, and rolled oats with chinook hops (style: pale ale/summer ale). It turned out to be a very nice spring beer. Personally, i thought the malts complimented each-other[/quote]

It’s all about personal tastes, huh? Personally, I find that a very malty malt, like MO or GP, fights with the rye. Just my opinion.

[quote=“Denny”]
It’s all about personal tastes, huh? Personally, I find that a very malty malt, like MO or GP, fights with the rye. Just my opinion.[/quote]

Since you are the King of Ryevana* I will certainly take your opinion into consideration.
So, just plain 2-row? How about an american pale ale malt?

*I may be retired, but I still know how to kiss up. :cheers:

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]
It’s all about personal tastes, huh? Personally, I find that a very malty malt, like MO or GP, fights with the rye. Just my opinion.[/quote]

Since you are the King of Ryevana* I will certainly take your opinion into consideration.
So, just plain 2-row? How about an american pale ale malt?

*I may be retired, but I still know how to kiss up. :cheers: [/quote]

Hey, man, it’s your call and you won’t know til you try it. That’s how I made my decision.

definitely about personal taste. Although the rye summer beer with GP was great. Denny’s rye IPA might be the best rye beer i’ve ever made.

:cheers: