Rye IPA FG and Krausen in Secondary

We brewed the Denny’s Rye Smile Rye IPA two weeks ago. I checked the OG after brewing and it was perfect at 1.078. We racked it to the secondary yesterday and the FG was 1.031. Does that seem right to everyone. It works out to 6.5-6.5 %ABV which seems ok, but I just want to make sure.

I’m also attaching a photo taken this morning. It looks like krausen, but just want to verify. I’m guessing we might have rousted some yeast during racking and they started fermenting again. No activity from the airlock.

We sampled it yesterday from the graduated cylinder after checking the FG and there were no off flavors. So I’m not worried about an infection.

1.031 is not ok on that beer. Pretty sure I got into the high teens on the final gravity on that one. And I would have to double check my notes, but I am sure mine ended up being 7.9%.

How long did you primary? What temp? And did you not do a yeast starter?

And I am guessing that had to be an extract brew to hang that high.

According to mr malty you would need the following size starters for that beer.

Simple Starter: 3.85L
Simple with O2 Start: 2.88L
Intermittent Shaking: 2.22L
Continuous Shaking: 1.92L
Stir Plate: 1.44L

But even better would have been to drop it on a yeast cake of a previous low OG beer.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]1.031 is not ok on that beer. Pretty sure I got into the high teens on the final gravity on that one. And I would have to double check my notes, but I am sure mine ended up being 7.9%.

How long did you primary? What temp? And did you not do a yeast starter?

And I am guessing that had to be an extract brew to hang that high.[/quote]

It was an extract brew. Primary was 2 weeks at 65°. I did a 1 liter starter that built up twice over several days before pitching. Intermittent shaking was done, but not as much as I usually do.

Sounds like you under pitched for one. It would have been nice to try to rouse the yeast and let the temp raise to finish fermentation. I would maybe pitch another starter in it and try to get it to drop some more points. If not I would think it would be extremely too sweet.

Which format of starter did you use?

Denny probably has terrific notes on this beer. I would see what he would suggest.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Sounds like you under pitched for one. It would have been nice to try to rouse the yeast and let the temp raise to finish fermentation. I would maybe pitch another starter in it and try to get it to drop some more points. If not I would think it would be extremely too sweet.

Which format of starter did you use?

Denny probably has terrific notes on this beer. I would see what he would suggest.[/quote]

OK, thanks for your help. 2 cups of water with 1/2 cup of DME. Reading through my notes and instructions, a 1 liter started built up once would have more cells than a 2 liter starter. I would have guessed that built up twice should have been enough. Crap. Maybe the racking rousted enough cells to finish it. Hoping so, but not expecting much.

I’d have to check my notes to recall the exact number, but it should finish quite a bit lower than that. Did you use 1450? I usually make a 3 qt. starter. I also would have said don’t rack it at that gravity. The foam you see could be a combo of a bit of fermentation and CO2 coming out of solution. Now that it’s in secondary, give it a good 2 weeks to finish up. You could also warm it up into the low 70s at this point to help it finish.

Thanks Denny. I did a 1 liter starter that I decanted and built up again twice. I’m guessing around a 2 liter starter total. Probably underpitching with not enough aeration slowed things down considerably. I bumped up the temp into the low 70’s to help it along. Thanks again.

Thanks Denny. I did a 1 liter starter that I decanted and built up again twice. I’m guessing around a 2 liter starter total. Probably underpitching with not enough aeration slowed things down considerably. I bumped up the temp into the low 70’s to help it along. Thanks again.[/quote]

No problem, man. Be patient and you’ll be rewarded.

Thanks Denny. I did a 1 liter starter that I decanted and built up again twice. I’m guessing around a 2 liter starter total. Probably underpitching with not enough aeration slowed things down considerably. I bumped up the temp into the low 70’s to help it along. Thanks again.[/quote]

In regards to your starter here is a video from wyeast.

http://youtu.be/ng0Ib7n4DIA

In regards to your starter here is a video from wyeast.

http://youtu.be/ng0Ib7n4DIA[/quote]

Thanks. Back to the books studying the wonders of yeast culturing.

Bringing the temp up later in ferm and daily rousing of yeast both help a higher gravity brew to finish out.