Roeselare Changing Beer Color

I brewed 10 gallons of a Berliner Weiss, the grist was 65% German Pils and 35% German Wheat. I split the batch into two fermenters and used White Labs 630 Berliner Weiss and Wyeast 3763 Roeselare for the other half. There was a significant color change in the Roeselare half, I attached a picture. Has anyone ever seen something like this when using the Roeselare? It is way darker, this picture is about 6 weeks after pitching and in the secondary, the Roeselare is on the left.

How do they taste? The only thing that comes to mind is oxidation - that’s an awful lot of headspace in those carboys.

When were these brewed/pitched? If you direct-pitched both yeasts, headspace shouldn’t be a problem. That is bizarre though. I do know Roseleare contains some sherry flor, but I’m not sure that would affect color :?:

I only had my 6 gallon carboys open for the secondary, that is why there is so much headspace . I did purge with CO2 to minimize the oxidation as much as I could.

I haven’t tasted them yet. I always wait at least 2 months for the other bugs in the yeast blends to start working.

It’s possible the sherry flor is doing something funky in there. Don’t know much about it, but the other microbes in that blend shouldn’t do that. I’d let it ride until you’re ready to sample. If it tastes ok, call it a Berliner dunkelweiss. Just FYI, oxygen will get in there through the stopper and the water in the airlock over time. They unfortunately are just not oxygen impermeable.

The lack of a pellicle means it shouldn’t have too much oxygen… Let us know how it is when you sample!

I doubt any O2 is getting in the bugs are putting some serious pressure on these carboys. The CO2 level is very high

Was it already dark like that when you transferred to secondary?

I’ve seen situations where sour beer turns a purple shade over time. Can’t remember if it was on this board or another. I’m guessing it’s the same phenomenon.