Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Roasted Malts and Sweet Stouts

I am planning on a sweet stout as my next brew. What type(s) of roasted malt do you use and how much? My plan is as follows.

7 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs flaked barley
6 oz roasted malt
6 oz chocolate
6 oz English Dark Crystal

Thanks!

Dan

Roasted barley is important in a stout. You’ll also want to add 3-4 oz black patent to ensure blackness. Also don’t forget about 3/4 lb lactose. Otherwise your sweet stout won’t be very sweet!

Thanks for the input. There will be no lactose in this beer. I plan on sweetening the beer with the Crystal malt, a generous amount of licorice root, and a low hopping rate of Phoenix hops. A little extra chloride in the water should help too.

Interesting take on the style. In this case, I would at least double the crystal malt to 3/4 lb. Enjoy!

I brewed this on wednesday.
three gallons, 1.065, 29 IBUs
5 lbs. PNW pale ale malt
1.25 lbs. white wheat malt
0.75 lb. caramel 40 malt
0.50 lb. roast barley
0.50 lb. flaked oats
0.25 lb. blackprinz malt
0.25 lb. lactose
0.20 oz. home grown sterlings plus
0.65 oz. WGV @ 7.1% for 45 minutes
0.25 oz. WGV for 21 minutes
pinch irish moss plus
0.25 tsp. nutrient for 15 minutes
0.10 oz. WGV plus
0.10 oz. H G sterlings for 6 minutes
1 pack S-04
mashed at 155 for 45 minutes
I pitched the yeast at 2:15 pm and saw slight signs of fermentation 6 hours later and it’s been going good since.
On thursday I racked an octoberfest to a smaller carboy to lager. It was a bit lighter in color than I’d hoped so I made a small batch of home made Sinamar and added a bit of that to it and put the rest into the stout.

Would the black patent make the stout too roasty for a sweet spot? IIRC, a sweet stout should have less roast than a dry stout. Maybe I should use a little black prinz for color?

Yeah… If you’re doubling the crystal as I suggested, then you don’t need to use quite as much black malt, maybe only 2 oz. Black prinz should indeed be better if you can get some.

Would the black patent make the stout too roasty for a sweet spot? IIRC, a sweet stout should have less roast than a dry stout. Maybe I should use a little black prinz for color?[/quote]

Several months ago I brewed a batch of black best bitter using blackprinz for the dark malt. The taste the balckprinz added was a more mellow roastiness than roast barley. My first thought was that balckprinz would be a good choice for a sweet stout by itself or in combination with roast barley.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com