Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Rinse Rice Hulls with Tap Water?

I’ve read people rinse rice hulls before using them in the mash. Is it ok to rinse them with untreated tap water, or should I use spring water?

It would be a lot easier to rinse them out with my tap water since I have a sprayer doo dad attached to my sink, but I’m not sure because my town adds chemicals to the water.

I’ve never rinsed mine…not sure why you would.

:cheers:

I read in a few places that they’re really dusty and should be rinsed. That would be cool if I don’t need to worry about it.

I haven’t used rice hulls for years but when I did I never rinsed them, I just accounted for them as grain and adjusted my water volume accordingly. I recall reading somewhere that people were soaking them so that they wouldn’t affect their mash water volume.

When I use them they get rinsed, mostly because they will suck up a lot of your precious first runnings. Also because when you rinse them the color of the rinse water is quite disgusting and I wouldnt want that in my beer.

My Mex lager. 10% rice hull, no rinse. color (approriately near yellow piss) looked good to me. :wink:

:cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com