Rinse Rice Hulls with Tap Water?

I’ve read people rinse rice hulls before using them in the mash. Is it ok to rinse them with untreated tap water, or should I use spring water?

It would be a lot easier to rinse them out with my tap water since I have a sprayer doo dad attached to my sink, but I’m not sure because my town adds chemicals to the water.

I’ve never rinsed mine…not sure why you would.

:cheers:

I read in a few places that they’re really dusty and should be rinsed. That would be cool if I don’t need to worry about it.

I haven’t used rice hulls for years but when I did I never rinsed them, I just accounted for them as grain and adjusted my water volume accordingly. I recall reading somewhere that people were soaking them so that they wouldn’t affect their mash water volume.

When I use them they get rinsed, mostly because they will suck up a lot of your precious first runnings. Also because when you rinse them the color of the rinse water is quite disgusting and I wouldnt want that in my beer.

My Mex lager. 10% rice hull, no rinse. color (approriately near yellow piss) looked good to me. :wink:

:cheers: