Reusing Yeast Cake

I’m planning on moving my batch of dry Irish stout to the secondary tomorrow, and as well as brewing an IPA. I’m using the same yeast for each (safale US-05).

I know you can re-use yeast cakes, however I’ve never done it before. Just curious if it will have any effect on the IPA’s final outcome.

Normally you wouldn’t go from a dark beer to a light beer it can have any effect on color. I’ve never done it so I can’t say if that’s true or how big of an effect it could have but I don’t think it would make that much difference. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

I don’t think color will be too greatly affected. Lower gravity to higher gravity is important, so I’ll bet you will be fine.

(High gravity to low is not good.)

I’ve found that going from dark to light OR highgravity to low (and even back to high again after that) has never presented a problem…even after 5 or 6 repitches.
Of course, it would depend on the yeast strain to some degree.

Bottom line is, I’ve been making low gravity pale ales with the spent yeast from barleywines and strong porters for a couple of decades and have never had any sluggish fermentations or off flavors result from doing that.
As always, your mileage may vary.
:cheers: