Removing chlorine without a filter

What’s the best way to remove chlorine after carbon filtering? I’d like to brew as-is with my water except for the chlorine.

You haven’t yet heard of campden?
Got to be kidding me. Did you just turn over a newb page or something?

Regular charcoal will remove chlorine.
Activated charcoal will break bonds of chloramine and reduce the levels of ammonia/ chlorine.
Both need to be fed at a slow rate to ensure full removal.

Campden is instant, cheap and it takes 1 tablet for 20 gallons of water.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]You haven’t yet heard of campden?
Got to be kidding me. Did you just turn over a newb page or something?

[quote]

Yes, I’ve heard of it, but there must be other ways also. Even non-newb can ask questions, can’t they?

If you carbon filter the chlorine should be gone. What kind of filter do you use?

here’s what I do . 1st boil the water I’m going to brew with (mash and sprage) let it cool . 2nd run that water though a carbon filter. the boiling and carbon filter leaves you with good brew water. Now unless you are trying to use a particular water profile for some fancy beer, you will be fine. If you have real hard water the boiling will help to soften it up some (it removes temporary hardness). that why you filter it after boiling to get rid of the white stuff.(temporary hardness).
P.S. find out if your water is chlorinated with chlorine gas or chloramine. chloramine is chlorine and ammonia bonded some how and dose not brake down as easy when exposed to air or regular carbon filters , you would have to get activated carbon to remove chloramine . this is why every one just gets the tablets to remove chloramine and be done with it. hope this helps .

I usually carbon filter my water and that works fine, but I was wondering about getting the chlorine out without removing the minerals in the water that the filter also gets. I have really good water except for the chlorine.

I usually carbon filter my water and that works fine, but I was wondering about getting the chlorine out without removing the minerals in the water that the filter also gets. I have really good water except for the chlorine.[/quote]

Yup, campden tablets. So simple and instant.

There are some times of year here where you can smell the chlorine in the water. 10 minutes after adding campden, smell is gone.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]I usually carbon filter my water and that works fine, but I was wondering about getting the chlorine out without removing the minerals in the water that the filter also gets[/quote]A carbon filter isn’t going to remove dissolved minerals, it may get a little but to remove the minerals would take a water softener or a RO unit.

I build my mash water from RO water and sparge with carbon filtered water treated with campden tabs just to be on the safe side.

[quote=“Glug Master”]A carbon filter isn’t going to remove dissolved minerals, it may get a little but to remove the minerals would take a water softener or a RO unit.
[/quote]

It depends. Some filters like a Brita contain ion exchange particles inside the carbon beads. It replaces cations with hydrogen (H+) ions and anions with hydroxyl (OH-) ions. Not all will be exchanged, but they do remove some hardness and nitrates that way.

[quote=“hans caravan”]Some filters like a Brita contain ion exchange particles inside the carbon beads[/quote]It would suck pulling 5+ gallons of brew water through a Brita :shock: You can also get 10" softening filters for standard housings, they’re kinda pricey and don’t have a lot of capacity.

I filter all my water through a Brita before brewing. You need to fill a couple of milk jugs the night before to get a head start. Not convenient, but I do it for the beer. :smiley:

Boiling will remove chlorine.

Have a read of this useful writeup from aj delange

http://hbd.org/ajdelange/Brewing_articl ... lorine.pdf

I brew three gallon batches and it can be a pain to do in a hurry, but a couple of weeks before I brew I start filtering. Three or four times a day I empty the pitcher into a carboy and I usually have enough by brew day.