Red RyePA Recipe Development

Hello all. I’ve been an AG brewer for about a year now, and I always like producing beers with a bit of a twist. Since it’s almost summertime, I thought a RyePA would be a nice thirst quencher to make. To give it a twist, I was thinking about making a Red RyePA (not a Red Imperial RyePA like what Founders makes). Anyway, here’s the recipe thus far:

Batch Size: 6 gal
Boil Vol: 7 gal

9 lbs American Two-Row
3 lbs Rye Malt
2 lbs Carared

Single-infusion @ 150F, Mashout @ 168F

1 oz US Perle @ 60 min
1 oz Liberty @ 10 min
1/4 tsp Super Moss @ 10 min
1 oz Liberty - DH 7 days before kegging

Yeast: Denny’s Favorite 50? (Wyeast 1450)

Things that I’m still considering:
-is that enough rye malt (20% of the grist) for a good RyePA?
-is that enough Carared for a ‘red’ beer?
-my fermentation chamber (closet) is around 72F, does 1450 do well above it’s recommended temp range of 60-70F?F
-would 10% flaked rye be a good addition, or is that just redundant?

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If the ambient temp is 72F the beer temp could go as high as 80F, which will not result in the best possible results. Do a search for “swamp cooler” on this site for info on a really easy solution to fermentation temp control.

For the recipe, 15-20% rye is a good amount, enough to definitely taste the rye. 15% crystal seems a little high to me, though, given the body and mouthfeel that the rye will impart.

[quote=“Shadetree”]If the ambient temp is 72F the beer temp could go as high as 80F, which will not result in the best possible results. Do a search for “swamp cooler” on this site for info on a really easy solution to fermentation temp control.

For the recipe, 15-20% rye is a good amount, enough to definitely taste the rye. 15% crystal seems a little high to me, though, given the body and mouthfeel that the rye will impart.[/quote]

Keep in mind that’s carared, which tastes and ferments very differently than crystal.

I don’t think adding flaked rye would do all that much for the flavor. Flaked rye doesn’t have nearly as much flavor as malted rye. And as has been said, that fermentation temp is much too high. Try to keep it under 65F.

[quote=“Denny”]Keep in mind that’s carared, which tastes and ferments very differently than crystal.[/quote]Does it ferment out dryer than standard 20L?

Yep. The only thing it and C20 have in common is a general color. The carared adds more red color, ferments out more, and adds a different flavor than C20.

Thanks for the great comments. Maybe I’ll just stick with good ol’ 1272. I’ve also been contemplating using some melanoidin malt to reinforce both the maltiness and the red color. I’d probably do 1 lb of carared and 1 lb of melanoidin. Thoughts?

That’s a lot of melanoidin for my tastes. In general I don’t like to go over .5 lb. for an average 5 gal. batch. You could also leave it out and go with 2 lb. of carared.