Red ale

Well, after a little conversion… metric to English… I have the grain bill and hops sorted out for this one… which came from Ireland…
8.82 lbs pale malt
1/2 lbs 240 crystal( I found some at about 180)
1/2 lbs flaked wheat
1 lbs biscuit malt
HOPS
1.76oz Anthem (?) boil
2.29 cascade FO
Irish moss.
Safale 05
1.046 OG…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I only question the yeast choice. Maybe use Wyeast 1084 instead. I would think US 05 would be too clean for a red ale. You would likely want some fruitiness typical for that style. Otherwise it looks great.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing an ESB yeast

I will brew this one in 3 weeks… The Gal that showed me the recipe has some time brew then… and there will be another person whom wants to step up from extract to all grain… It’ll be a good day of brewing… I have an ESB yeast… I still have to get some of the malt… I’ll get the Wyeast too… With warm weather moving in… nows a good time to stock up… Thank you …Sneezles61

Its not moving in :frowning:

I brewed an Irish red last year with Marris Otter for the base and Nottingham for the yeast. Nice grain flavor and a little tartness from the yeast. I really liked it.

I’ve got the same idea about using Marris Otter…
Hey Unc… I see this coming W/E it may get up the 32*F up here!! Thats time to imbibe on the deck in my book!!
Its been 56 days below freezing… Sure chased away the whimps, sent them south!:joy: Sneezles61

OK, brewing this today… A few changes… I upped the C-180 to 1.25 lbs… I will use northern brewer hops for the bittering charge… and sterling will be my aromatics… Double the grain bill for a 10 gallon batch… Estimating OG to be 1.056… Little bigger than I wanted… May dilute to adjust to 1.050. Sneezles61

Alrighty… OG was 1.053… Did a short and shoddy boil… Finished at 1.007… That still estimates 6% ABV… The sample was very good… Never tried the biscuit malt before… I can tell its there… I’ll need to try some of this in an APA… Chillin down so I can keg this W/E… Pull a few pints Sunday afternoon… Sneezles61

I’ve been on a quest for the right red ale recipe for a while now. I wanted something “cleaner” i think…here’s what I brewed and am drinking now. I like it a lot. I can see this grainbill as a good base for an APA or IPA as well. The color is very similar to my old IPA grainbill. It’s simple and easy to brew, ferments fast and clean, great head and lacing, very easy drinking. I would like it to be more “red”. Will work on that.

Recipe: Red Ale
Brewer: Danny
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe

Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 12.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
8.25 gal My Well Water Water 1 - -
3.60 ml Lactic Acid (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
0.83 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
0.64 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
0.54 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 6 - -
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 7 84.8 % 0.55 gal
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 8 12.1 % 0.08 gal
4.0 oz Carafa Special II (415.0 SRM) Grain 9 3.0 % 0.02 gal
0.69 g Salt (Sparge) Water Agent 11 - -
0.53 g Calcium Chloride (Sparge) Water Agent 12 - -
0.45 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Sparge) Water Agent 13 - -
1.30 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 14 28.2 IBUs -
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 15 - -
0.70 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlp Hop 16 1.6 IBUs -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 17 - -

Mash Schedule: My BIAB 6 gal
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 4.0 oz

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.00 qt of water at 159.3 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 1 steps (3.74gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

using 1056 yeast cake
water 7.2pH, FR 1.058 forgot irish moss
Found an issue with the way I was adding water that increased the volume in the MT and threw BS3 ph off but even after adjusting it still estimates acid WAY high, acid additions per BW
In fermenter at 58F with full cake of 1056 from 3/17 ipa
5/2 kegged

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

Have you guys used BEST Red X malt or GoldSwaen Red. Best can be used 100 % of your gain bill. I usually use it and some Pale or Maris for my red and amber ales. A SMASH of 100% makes a beautiful intense red beer. Not as malty as Munich malt and little more bread aroma like a good pilsner. Swaen red malt is a caramalt. I became a big fan of them here lately. It adds great color and a malty flavor that’s not like your normal crystal and caramel malts. Its alittle more like a super munich in my opinion you can use it up to 25% of your grain bill and creates wonderful reds with out the toffee and other flavors that crystal malts would give you. I been using it in my Munich Dunkels, Altbier and Amber’s ales. Swaens has some really great malts and are worth checking out if you not used any of them

Interesting…my LHBS carries Bestnalz. I’ll have to see if they have the red x

Yeah its worth checking out. Our host sells it but haven’t seen the swaen malt on the site yet. Here is there site http://theswaen.com/ I think you will like their malts to.

M.O. and Pils in a 50/50 blend, 1 lb wheat, 1lb biscuit malt, 10 oz C 180… Pre mash water pH 6.0… This is for 5 gallons… 6% ABV… I upped mine to 10, split it, one with Irish ale yeast the other with ESB… Irish ale yeast was clearly the winner…Sneezles61

Did you read the article I think from beersmith. It suggested to steep some dark crystal malt in your mash water until you get the color you want then pull them an continue with the mash. I can’t remember but I think he recommended a roasted malt but only a touch. Maybe you could find that article. It may have been in BYO magazine

Mash capping. You don’t hear alot about it much any more. I still occasionally do it for few styles… Not meaning to hijack this thread but steeping is kinda a lost art for all grain brewers. I been revisiting it for awhile mainly with my lagers. I been steeping grains like Munich, Victory and Biscuit Malt and some others. Its helped me create some flavors that lost during mashing them.

1 Like

No worries there… So, do you extract the bread qualities from the victory/biscuit malts by steeping? Sneezles61

Yes its a lot more pronounced this way. My latest Czech Pilsner 90% floor malted Bohemian pilsner and 10% Dark floor malted bohemian that i steeped. Gave me a bread maltyness little like Munich malt. I brewed same recipe all mashed grains and was a good beer but was missing the quality steeping the grains gave me.

2 Likes

Hey, Time to dust this one off… I’ll put this one, second in my up coming Ale rotation…
I am willing to try Damiens idea to steep the specialty grains… I suppose then, I have to brew another directly afterwards to compare… Gee whiz this gets very busy! :grin:
Sneezles61

First round of Ale is fermenting away nicely… So I’ll plan to brew next week… Using Brew Cats idea… I’ll get it kegged as the second is chillin’.
5 lbs of Vienna and pils each
1 lbs wheat
1 lbs victory (biscuit)
10 oz 180 Crystal
I have some bravo for hop schedule…
I’ll adjust my water for amber style… well, at least I assume thats what I think I’m doing…
Sneezles61