Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Red Ale, Red Lager

What’s the difference in the two styles? What’s the difference in ingredients?

My sister is getting married in June. She loves reds so I hoped to brew her some for the reception. I’ve got about 5 months so which should I choose? I’ve done the Irish red ale from NB but wasn’t much impressed. It was early on in my brewing so I’d consider doing it again. I’m wanting to start it fairly soon to give it some aging so I’ll have to stick with extract, (limiting, I know!) Please help!

I think Irish Reds are “roastier” and drier and I think that American Reds can be “cleaner” and possibly sweeter. Red Lagers tend to be similar to American Reds in that they’re not roasty and since “RED” is not really a BJCP category (is it? They keep changing), I think that any lager yeast could be used to make a red lager and I have used many, many strains to make mine. On my site is a recipe for an American Red Ale or Lager and you could easily sub out the base grain and use extra-pale DME instead and then use the 8 oz of Crystal 120 and 8 oz of Special B to get the color. This is kind of a wide-open area in brewing so I don’t think there’s any right or wrong… just what you like. This Home Run Red recipe has been made by a lot of brewers in a bunch of different configurations and I get some good feedback on it. Link to my site is below, go to RECIPES. Cheers and good luck.

Ps. There’s also a picture of this beer in the BEER GALLERY.

I would recommend Jamil’s Evil Twin. It is an excellent hoppy red ale.

Can anyone say double brew day!?
Do both.

@Ken: Thanks, I’ll definitely look at your recipes
@Sigma: I’ve done JET and it’s a little on the strong side for my sister’s taste.

Thanks for the comments.

[quote=“Adam20”]Can anyone say double brew day!?
Do both.[/quote]
Now that is a noble idea! Why didn’t I think of that?

:cheers:

@Ken: What about subbing the pale malt with Pilsen LME? It’s the lowest *L extract I could find but I’m not sure what kinda of flavors it would lend. BTW, I’ve decided on your lager recipe with German hops and lager yeast.

michael,

I’ve got ken’s HRR lagering now. I used 2206 and Hallertauer at 60, 15, and 1. I tasted my FG sample and it was very good. I’m planning on pouring the first glass near the end of next month. I’ll let you know when it’s ready.

cheers

My vote for a red is the Lakefront Fixed Gear it’s an awesome beer.

I made Ken’s HRR as an ale and it was very tasty. I used US-05 and fermented nice and cool for a very clean beer.

I see no problem there whatsoever. I would think that it would make a great red lager. I forgot that there was Vienna and Wheat in there which could be steeped or you could rustle up some wheat extract as well. I think I did that strictly for head formation and stability so feel free to get creative there. What kind of lager yeast were you thinking? I actually have WLP940 Mexican and also WLP840 American both actively fermenting right now and all this talk about a red is making me consider Mexican Red Lager or American Red Lager! Whoo! 8)

LOL, just realized that both of my brews currently lagering are Ken’s recipes: mex lager (w/ wlp940) and red lager (w/ wy2206.)

thank you ken.

cheers.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]LOL, just realized that both of my brews currently lagering are Ken’s recipes: mex lager (w/ wlp940) and red lager (w/ wy2206.)

thank you ken.

cheers.[/quote]
Sweet. You know, I was just in the Dallas-Ft. Worth-Hurst area visiting a customer. Next time I come down there I’m coming over to Stormybrew & Mvsawyers house to sample some of these lagers! Cheers Beerheads.

[quote=“Ken Lenard”][quote=“StormyBrew”]LOL, just realized that both of my brews currently lagering are Ken’s recipes: mex lager (w/ wlp940) and red lager (w/ wy2206.)

thank you ken.

cheers.[/quote]
Sweet. You know, I was just in the Dallas-Ft. Worth-Hurst area visiting a customer. Next time I come down there I’m coming over to Stormybrew & Mvsawyers house to sample some of these lagers! Cheers Beerheads.[/quote]

You’re certainly welcome to come by for a brew. That area is no more than 30 minutes from the house.

cheers.

[quote=“Ken Lenard”]
I see no problem there whatsoever. I would think that it would make a great red lager. I forgot that there was Vienna and Wheat in there which could be steeped or you could rustle up some wheat extract as well. I think I did that strictly for head formation and stability so feel free to get creative there. What kind of lager yeast were you thinking? I actually have WLP940 Mexican and also WLP840 American both actively fermenting right now and all this talk about a red is making me consider Mexican Red Lager or American Red Lager! Whoo! 8) [/quote]
I noticed the extra grain in the bill and figured I could just partial mash with it.
I was thinking American Lager liquid yeast but I do have a stash of 34/70 that I used in a shwarzbier that came out great.

Anytime you’re in the area, let me know and I’d be happy to share a homebrew or seven!
:cheers:

[quote=“mvsawyer”]@Ken: Thanks, I’ll definitely look at your recipes
@Sigma: I’ve done JET and it’s a little on the strong side for my sister’s taste.

Thanks for the comments.[/quote]

I know I’ll hate myself for saying this, but you could brew using the grain bill and reduce the hops additions. I can’t believe I said reduce the hops additions. That way you get a great red colored beer with hops more to your sister’s liking. I understand your dilemma. None of my friends like JET because it is too hoppy. Oh well, more for me.

The Red Lager was consumed this weekend by 40 guests for my sister’s wedding reception. It was a hit!!! Thanks so much to Ken for the awesome recipe. I used pilsen LME, with the rest of the grains as a partial mash. After kegging, it failed to hold much of the head despite the added wheat. But who misses a little foam when your beer is freakin’ amazing?! I cut it with some Innkeeper to see if that’d help and it did, a little. The 5gallon keg lasted almost the entire night (alongside a schwarzbier that emptied 20 minutes later). I can’t say thank you enough, Ken! You awesome recipe at work:

[quote=“mvsawyer”]The Red Lager was consumed this weekend by 40 guests for my sister’s wedding reception. It was a hit!!! Thanks so much to Ken for the awesome recipe. I used pilsen LME, with the rest of the grains as a partial mash. After kegging, it failed to hold much of the head despite the added wheat. But who misses a little foam when your beer is freakin’ amazing?! I cut it with some Innkeeper to see if that’d help and it did, a little. The 5gallon keg lasted almost the entire night (alongside a schwarzbier that emptied 20 minutes later). I can’t say thank you enough, Ken! You awesome recipe at work:

[/quote]
So cool! Congrats to the happy couple and glad everyone enjoyed the red lager!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com