Recipe thoughts?

I am going for a piney-hopped red ale.
The inspiration for it is the piney smeell of the north woods and the tannic water in the eastern UP where my family has a cabin. (

) But you know, without the tannic flavor. :lol:

Thoughts and critiques welcome.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Big Mud RedAle

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Irish Red Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.5 gallons
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.32%
IBU (tinseth): 58.4
SRM (morey): 17.26

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - American - Pale Ale (88%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (8%)
0.25 lb - American - Roasted Barley (4%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Magnum for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 15, IBU: 49.13)
0.5 oz - Chinook for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7.8, IBU: 9.26)
1 oz - Chinook for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop (AA 7. 8)

MASH STEPS:

1. Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Sach
  2. Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, mash out

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Looks great to me, nice and simple, let the ingredients speak for themselves!

I understand you are going for pine, but maybe add a small amount (or smallER amount than the Chinook) of cascade at 10 min and DH, just to layer the hop aroma/flavor a bit. You will get some citrus from it too, but I find cascades to be pretty piney. Also, what if you used some spruce needles from the pine trees up there @ dry hop!? You could make a vodka/grain alcohol tincture with them so its sanitized.

The only other feedback I have is maybe you want to space out your late hop additions a bit, since you aren’t adding any ‘flavor’ additions (30 min). You could also FWH for a similar effect.

Then again, it looks good as is. Maybe I’m overcomplicating. Good luck and cheers for beers up @ the cabin!

Try throwing some pine needles or a bit of sap in near the end of the boil.

Or don’t…the pine beers I’ve had kinda tasted like I imagine turpentine would tatse.

If it was on hand, wouldn’t a dose of Columbus help the pine accent?

A Columbus dose when?

Nothing is on hand yet. I am still not even sure if I have time to brew it soon. Just fleshing out some ideas.

I am hesitant to use spruce tips. I like the idea, but I know it’s love/hate ingredient and I don’t want to hate it.

Pietro did you mean to split up my 10min addition? Or add a flavoring charge?

I was worried that the malt bill was too simple and/or not enough crystal. I want some malty-sweetness in there but not a lot.

Thanks.

[quote=“ibeentired”]A Columbus dose when?[/quote]I would FWH with Columbus for ~30 IBUs, skip the 60-min Magnum addition, Chinook at 10-min for 20 IBUs, an oz at flameout, and a half-oz each of Columbus and Chinook for dryhop.

Nice.
I have never tried a FWH. I’ll have to read up on it. :cheers:

Nit picky, I know, but with that level of IBU, it’s not really an Irish Red. But maybe you can start a new style. Instead of a Black IPA, you could call it a Red IPA.
Still, all-in-all it looks pretty tasty.

Yeah I was going to mention that in the OP, that was part of the plan to be more hoppy. I guess it would be a “West Coast” red ale.

Or don’t…the pine beers I’ve had kinda tasted like I imagine turpentine would tatse.[/quote]

I haven’t done pine myself, only redwood. Do you feel the same about those if you have tried one?

Or don’t…the pine beers I’ve had kinda tasted like I imagine turpentine would tatse.[/quote]

I haven’t done pine myself, only redwood. Do you feel the same about those if you have tried one?[/quote]

Never tried redwood.