Recipe Question/Two Hearted Ale Clone

I am thinking about brewing this tomorrow. I have looked at a few recipes and noticed that some call for Vienna malt while NB’s Recipe does not. Other then slightly higher ABV (with this grain bil)l what difference would you expect in the recipe?

NB: – 11 lbs. Rahr 2-Row
– 1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40

Clone recipe: 10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

Being fairly new to all-grain, I am not sure what adding Vienna Malt would change in the beer. Appreciate any input!

Take a look here to see what you are getting out of a specific grain.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

That is a very helpful chart. I appreciate that. It doesn’t have any checks for vienna malt for characteristics. But I am sure I will use this in the future.

We don’t get two hearted ale in California. Enjoyed it for two weeks last summer however in Missouri. Your recipe looks good, although i don’t know/recall the beer well enough to know if it will clone the original. i’ve used vienna in ipa’s to get a nice biscuitty flavor, good balance for highly hopped west coast style ipas. plese post your notes after brewing.

Mullerbrau uses Vienna in his recipe:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=103214&p=914784&hilit=mullerbrau+two+hearted#p914784

I wanted to do a Two Hearted Ale Clone and found a recipe in the special addition of BYO that looked good but when I double checked it would have yielded a significantly weaker beer than Bell’s is. Northern Brewers kit is the same way I think.

So, this is the recipe that I brewed the other week and it is basically the same as the one in the BYO magazine but I upped the base malt to get me up to the 7% ABV that Bell’s is. I got super impatient and did an early gravity reading and taste test and it seemed like it will be a terrific beer!

10 lbs Domestic 2 Row
2.5 lbs Vienna Malt
12 oz Cara-Pils
12 oz Caramel 80

Hop additions are all centennial:
.5oz at 60 minutes
.5 at 45
.5 at 30
.5 at 15
1 at 1
1oz dry hopped.

American Ale II Yeast

I recall a recipe from Bells in a recent zymurgy magazine.

75% 2 row
21% UK pale malt
4% C40

OG 1.070

Assuming 9.1%AA
1.2 oz of cent @ 45
1.2 oz of cent @ 30
3.5 oz of cent for dry hop

Hope it maybe helps. Not too sure if its the most recent recipe they are making.