Recipe package not opened for 7 months

Sorry for the beginners question. I did try to search the forum for the answer, but there are many thousands of threads referencing yeast and refrigerate. I’m sure the answer is here, but thanks for your patience, and thanks for your answers.

I got a nice beginners kit for Christmas 2013. Through my own faults, I’m just now opening the packaging and getting a brew going. The instructions for the Caribou Slobber indicate that I was supposed to refrigerate the yeast when i opened the recipe pack. So I basically have a dry yeast package that has been in a controlled temperature of 73-74F for the last 7 months. Is this yeast still ok to use? I know my first batch of beer won’t be perfect, but I’d at least like to know that I didn’t mess up something elementary.

Thanks again. I look forward to sharing my successes and learning about yours. :cheers:

I’d definitely get a new pack of yeast. The 4 bucks is a bargain compared to your time spent brewing, and having to drink 5 gallons of potentially bad beer.

[quote=“ufgatorfan97”]Sorry for the beginners question. I did try to search the forum for the answer, but there are many thousands of threads referencing yeast and refrigerate. I’m sure the answer is here, but thanks for your patience, and thanks for your answers.

I got a nice beginners kit for Christmas 2013. Through my own faults, I’m just now opening the packaging and getting a brew going. The instructions for the Caribou Slobber indicate that I was supposed to refrigerate the yeast when i opened the recipe pack. So I basically have a dry yeast package that has been in a controlled temperature of 73-74F for the last 7 months. Is this yeast still ok to use? I know my first batch of beer won’t be perfect, but I’d at least like to know that I didn’t mess up something elementary.

Thanks again. I look forward to sharing my successes and learning about yours. :cheers: [/quote]

What is the best by date on the yeast? Dry yeast is pretty hardy and can last for quite a while. It wouldn’t hurt to have another pack of the yeast handy and pitch it if you don’t get any action with the kit yeast in a reasonable time.
If it was liquid yeast I’d say to chuck it.

Package says its good until 12/2015. It’s still solid (brick like) so i assume the package hasn’t opened.

Both of you are suggesting having another yeast on hand, so I’ll get some. There’s a brew supplier in Jax Beach, thanks for help.

My LHBS stores all their dry yeast at room temps so it should still be good if its before the date on the package. In fact I think the dates on the package assume room temp storage if I’m not mistaken. I do agree that grabbing an insurance pack is definitely a good idea.