Recipe from hops?

I almost completely forgot about 4 1 oz. packets of hops a friend gave me for my b-day in June (I kept them in my freezer) . I am hoping maybe I can get some style direction from better educated brewers.

I have:
Centenial
Cascade
Fuggle
Saaz

Seems like Saaz is kind of the odd one out. The other 3 might play together well?

I was thinking of doing a Pale Ale, Amber or perhaps a bitter.

Make an APA with the first two, a Belgian single with the Saaz, and throw the Fuggles in the trash.

APA with Fuggle for bittering then some Cascade and Centennial for flavor and aroma?

Anti-fuggle I see.
How come? I like the name, but can say I know anything about the hops itself.

inhouse - APA was kind of where i was leaning. Now I just have to figure my method (extract, partial or venture into a 3 gal BIAB).

Anti-fuggle I see.
How come? I like the name, but can say I know anything about the hops itself.[/quote]Because they add a certain “dirt” quality that I can’t stand - if you have to use them, make it early in the boil so you won’t have to smell or taste them. :wink:

Anti-fuggle I see.
How come? I like the name, but can say I know anything about the hops itself.

inhouse - APA was kind of where i was leaning. Now I just have to figure my method (extract, partial or venture into a 3 gal BIAB).[/quote]

If you haven’t done a BIAB yet try that out. I personally enjoy it and it would be a good intro to all grain brewing I think. I do 1-3gallon batches on the stove top to test recipes. Do some research, set a recipe and give it a whirl. I’d also check your preboil gravity and have some DME on hand to make sure you are getting to where you want to be in terms of starting gravity.

So I pieced together a 3 gal. BIAB American Pale Ale recipe.

What do you guys think?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Pale Horn
Author: Lew

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons
Boil Size: 4.5 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.24%
IBU (tinseth): 44.05
SRM (morey): 10.82

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - Pale 2-Row (84.6%)
0.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 60L (7.7%)
0.5 lb - Victory (7.7%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Centennial (AA 10) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Cascade (AA 9.1) for 8 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Centennial (AA 10) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.75 oz - Cascade (AA 9.1) for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop

MASH STEPS:

1. Temperature, Temp: 161 F, Amount: 20 qt, WATER
  2. Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 75 min, Amount: 20 qt, MASH
  3. Temp: 168 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 20 qt, MASH OUT

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - irish moss, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

^^^ looks solid to me. Love the two-decimal precision on the IBU estimate! :wink:

That’s Brewersfriend.com’s IBU set up.

Shade, do you have a post or blog that explains your process? It sounds, from reading in multiple threads, like you have it down to a science.

I am going to attempt my first BIAB on Sunday.
Since I didn’t have the chance to get to the store in person, I ordered my grain online crushed (will get here tomorrow). Should I work it over with a rolling pin to crush it a bit more? Though I am not sure where or how I would do that with so much grain. I did get some extra light DME in case my efficiency is too low.

BIAB really is pretty dang easy. This is just how I do it on the stove top but I like to kick it with a little heat at 20 and 40 minutes. Usually just a minutes or two while stirring the mash helps me maintain a constant temp. It took me a few tries to really nail it down but now I’ve got it pretty close.

I like your recipe! Straight, to the point, simple. Should be a great beer. Take a pre-boil gravity reading if you’re worried about the crush and either add some DME or just boil down longer if you feel like you need to adjust.

Good stuff!
I forgot I was going to go back and edit my post and add you to the question too inhouse … but now I don’t need to. :cheers:

[quote=“ibeentired”]Shade, do you have a post or blog that explains your process? It sounds, from reading in multiple threads, like you have it down to a science.[/quote]No, I don’t blog, but I do brew a lot of beer for my household and for other people, so I have to be organized and produce beer with consistent quality - I can’t afford to end up with 12-18 gallons of undrinkable beer in the pipeline. But I do like to experiment and am always looking for a new, better way to do things, too.

Looks likes I’ve got a session APA on my hands.

Evey thing went pretty well on my first BIAB. The paint strainer bag was too small for my pot though. And I confused meself on the mashing temps and may have started a little too high but nothing drastic. My preboil gravity was 2 points higher than expected (1.039 instead 1.037)

BUT (always a but)

Even using 2 burners on my stove top was not creating a hard enough boil to evaporate enough water. I also followed brewersfriend.com that recommended 22.5 quarts instead of the 20 quarts I came up with on my own.

So I eneded up with not quite 4.5 gals of 1.040 beer with and about 36 IBUs.

Oh well, it was a learning experience! I am sure it will still be tasty just lighter than expected. Now I need to figure out my stovetop boil-off rate.

Yep, I have a gas stove top and use two burners for the boils but in order to get anything good going I need to keep the lid on a bit. I think you can still boil off enough vapors and drive off those DMS precursors by keeping the lid on about half way which will also increase you boil just a bit.

Glad to hear everything went well though. Just try a few more, it’s a process figuring out how everything works and once you do you’ll find something else to think about and you’ll have to wrap your brain (and brewing system) around before moving on to something else. But hey, that’s what learning is. It’s a process.

Yes, lid partially on probably would have helped.

Next time, next time.