Recipe for Pretzels

I am sorry not normal topic but while I was at work I was looking thru the posts and one of you gentlemen had a link to there homepage/blog and in this site was a recipe for beer pretzels. I unfortunately cannot find the post or your link could you please respond so that I can save your site to my favorites.

Here’s a link to Jeff Renner’s great pretzel recipe. Read the whole post, but the actual recipe is about halfway down the page. This recipe is a winner!

HOMEBREW Digest #3786 Tue 13 November 2001

Thank you will try it tomorrow.

I didn’t check how similar it was, but Alton Brown has a good one as well:

Here is a recipe I have made several times with greeat success:

BeerSmith Home Brewing

Bavarian Soft Pretzels and Beer

As a change of pace, I’ve included a non-brewing recipe today, but one I think you will enjoy!
Nothing goes better with a cold homebrewed beer than a big soft pretzel fresh from the oven! Today we’re going to set homebrewing aside and look instead at a recipe for large, Bavarian beer pretzels . Below is a recipe I’ve used for years to create delicious pretzels at home:
Soft Pretzel Recipe – makes one dozen large pretzels:
-1 packet active dry bread yeast
-1 cup warm water
-2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
-2 3/4 cups bread flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon sugar
-5 teaspoons baking soda (for glazing)
-Coarse salt (if desired)
Instructions:

• In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup warm water and packet of yeast.
  • Mix in 1-1/2 cups of flower, the 2 tblsp margarine, 1/2 tsp salt and tblsp sugar. Beat the entire mixture for 3 minutes to mix well.
  • Slowly mix in the remaining 1-1/4 cups of flour, and knead dough until all of the flour is mixed in and dough loses its stickiness.
  • Set aside in bowl, and let it rise until dough reaches approximately double its original size. - Divide dough into twelve approximately equal pieces. Using your palms, roll each piece into 18″ lengths about pencil thickness. Loop and twist the lengths into pretzel shapes and place on a greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again until they approximately double in girth.
  • Preheat oven to 475 degrees, and ready a boiling solution of 4 cups of water, and the 5 tsp of baking soda in a shallow non-aluminum (note – aluminum may react with baking soda).
  • With a plastic spatula, carefully lift each pretzel from the sheet and lower it into the boiling baking soda solution for 15-20 seconds. This will glaze the pretzels once you bake them.
  • Sprinkle the pretzels with coarse salt (if desired, they’re great without salt as well), and bake approximately 7-10 minutes until browned. Serve warm, topped with mustard or cheese, and a pint of your favorite beer.
    There is nothing more wonderful than a fresh hot pretzel with a nice cold homebrew!

BeerSmith Home Brewing
Discussion Forum: forum.beersmith.com
BeerSmith Support: BeerSmith Support, Home Brewing Articles, Discussion Forum, Recipes | BeerSmith™ Home Brewing Software
Blog Articles: blog.beersmith.com

Thank you, We will try the soft pretzels in the near future.

I am making a batch right now. Waiting for the dough to rise.

[quote=“The Professor”]Here’s a link to Jeff Renner’s great pretzel recipe. Read the whole post, but the actual recipe is about halfway down the page. This recipe is a winner!

HOMEBREW Digest #3786 Tue 13 November 2001
[/quote]

Thanks, Al. Saves me from looking for it!

That recipe is THE one!

Thank you all for the replies will be making pretzels next Saturday as well as brewing a batch of Emma’s brown ale.

ok my first post and i see a thread on pretzles and i am looking into making beer…kind of crazy 2 of my favorite things all rolled up in one thread.

time to move on,
but i am going to make pretzles too :slight_smile:

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I am making a batch right now. Waiting for the dough to rise.[/quote]I tried to make 4 of the the huge German ones instead of 12 standard size and they fell apart bad when trying to get them off the kraft paper.

If you have a bread machine you should be able to toss everything in it and set it to just make Dough, NOT bake!

Once the dough has mixed and risen then proceed in making the pretzels as directed.

I use a bread machine for mixing up many things like this then bake in the oven, or sometimes bake over the wood burner when heating the house :smiley:

Just thought I’d mention it as it saves lots of time.
Also you might want to try freezing a few to bake later.
I have not made anything for a long time, but I used to toss stuff in a bread machine to mix and rise, then separate dough as needed and freeze. Makes it real handy when you want something kinda fast and no time to really mess with it. Just let it thaw and bake.

Anyone use these recipes to make pretzel sticks?