Recipe for a Lift Bridge Farm Girl clone

I am going to attempt my first original recipe for a clone of the Lift Bridge Farm Girl. This is my wife’s favorite beer and I cannot find a recipe, so I thought I would try to make my own. I am wondering if I can get some opinions on if I have a good recipe or not.

First of all, this is the information from Lift Bridge’s website:

Perfectly balanced and moderately sweet with light citrus notes and a distinct spiciness from choice Belgian yeasts, Farm Girl is a refreshing beer with universal appeal. Enjoy it after a long day on the farm, or anytime the mood strikes you– whether you’re on the water, in the sun or hiding from the winter’s chill. Pairs well with most foods, including spicy dishes and Thai.

Malts: Belgian Pilsner Malt
Hops: Goldings, Perle, Spalt
Yeast: Belgian
Additions: Seville Orange
ABV: 5.8% IBU: 19 Color: 30

So, I opened up BeerSmith and this is what I have setup:
10 pounds of Belgian Pilsner Malt
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeast
1 ounce of sweet orange peel - boil 5 minutes
.75 ounce of East Kent Goldings - boil 60 minutes
.5 ounce Spalt hops - boil 10 minutes
1 ounce Perle hops - boil 5 minutes

Beersmith shows the following:
OG will be 1.055
Bitterness of 22.7 IBU
Color 3.8 SRM
ABV 5.4%

The bitterness is a little high, so maybe I should cut down the hops some - ideas?

What do you all think? If you have had Farm Girl, does this sound close? I know that I will not get it perfect my first try, but I want it to at least be close.

Thank you for any help!

Jon

I don’t think you can be too far off. I recently did a few batches of saisons using 3711 yeast and it is far more peppery. 3724 seems like the perfect choice based on the yeast profile description. For the Farm Girl flavor profile, I would not ferment too warm.

Edit: Doing some reading on the yeast, it sounds like you may need to ramp up he temperature to prevent the fermentation from stalling.

The Four Firkins has a video of the brewer/owner that developed the recipe. He mentions throwing in a little sugar. 1 lb may be typical for a saison, but I don’t think that beer is highly attenuated from what I remember. 1/2 pound of sugar may be more appropriate.

I know it isn’t mentioned anywhere in the ingredients, but I would cut out a pound of pilsner and add in a pound of wheat for head retention.

I tried this Lift Bridge Farm Girl clone from an online cooking recipes

website and it was cooked so perfectly, the taste was amazing. I want to cook some more dishes that are listed in that website.