Really high attenuation with Denny's 1450

Here’s the recipe that I brewed on January 9th.

12 lbs Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt
1 lb Briess Caramel 60
hopbursted with 6 oz of Cascade in the last 20 minutes and 2 oz of dry hops. Mash temp was 152-3. I pitched ~1/3 of the yeast cake from an APA that had been bottled the day prior.
The OG was 1.067 and the ferment temp was in the mid 60’s. Bottled today and the FG was 1.006!

From what I’ve read, Denny’s yeast gets better attenuation after the first pitch, but that’s 91% attenuation. I think my thermometer is off. My go to thermometer’s battery was dead and I had to use the lab thermometer that I bought from NB.

I’m not worried about the beer being too thin because it is Denny’s yeast and I used Pale Ale Malt. I was just wondering if anyone has seen that high of attenuation with 1450.

J

Once in a while, yes, but only when mashing at lower temps.

I’ve never had that problem. I find that 1450 attenuates just slightly less than 1056. When I split IPA’s mashed at 150-2 I plan on 80% attenuation with 1056 and 78% with 1450. That has basically held true for the 10 or so split batches I’ve done with these two yeasts which has included some other styles. For instance, if I get 75% with 1056 I get 73-4% with 1450.

Oh I should add that I have never repitched, always a new starter. Denny are you getting different attenuation when you pitch 2nd or 3rd generation yeast?

[quote=“JLap”]I’ve never had that problem. I find that 1450 attenuates just slightly less than 1056. When I split IPA’s mashed at 150-2 I plan on 80% attenuation with 1056 and 78% with 1450. That has basically held true for the 10 or so split batches I’ve done with these two yeasts which has included some other styles. For instance, if I get 75% with 1056 I get 73-4% with 1450.

Oh I should add that I have never repitched, always a new starter. Denny are you getting different attenuation when you pitch 2nd or 3rd generation yeast?[/quote]

Yeah, subsequent generations usually do a bit better.

My lab thermometer is a few degrees off. I must have mashed in at 146-8. Okay it’s more than a few degrees.

J

I just bottled a brew at 1.008 that started at 1.058, making for 86% apparent attenuation. Was using third gen 1450, and I mashed in the upper 140s. Can’t wait for this to be ready in all of its 6.5% glory!