Really dry flavor in Brown Ale

I just racked my first batch ever over to a secondary after fermenting for 10 days in the primary. Fermentation had slowed to a crawl although after taking a SG reading I am not down to what FG should be yet. It started around 1.057 & is supposed to get down to 1.012, it is currently at 1.016. Anyways, I tasted it after taking the SG reading and the beer had good flavor BUT it was super dry (think really dry red wine). Has anyone experienced this before? Is that something that will mellow out with time as the beer is only 10 days old? I know I am probably just a noob that is freaking out but any opinions on the dry flavor would be appreciated.

What makes you think that this is supposed to get down to 1.012? Generally darker ales, especially if it is extract will not go much lower than what you have.

I am just going by what my beersmith2.0 recipe told me. If it doesn’t move when I check it again in a day or two I will know it is as low as it is going to get.

Brewing software can only give an estimate based on the attenuation of the yeast. If you can choose a yeast strain.

It can’t take into account the make up of the wort itself. So it’s just a guess.

I put 4 different yeast in a recipe on BeerTools, Switching between them, and no yeast at all, maked no difference in the FG.

I def. appreciate the feedback but the SG isn’t what I’m really concerned with (unless that may be causing the dry flavor?). Any ideas on a dry tasting beer?

Recipe:
6.6lbs Dark LME
2lbs crystal 80L
2oz fuggles - 30 mins
1oz styrian golding - 15 mins
6G water

Finished at almost exactly 5 Gallons

imo 1.016 shouldn’t taste that dry since it indicates there are still a fair amount of sugars present. So, I think you are correct in thinking that it’s just too early. It is a good idea to taste at each stage, that way you’ll be able to gage how flavor changes. I’ll bet when it’s all finished and fully conditioned it’ll taste great.

<1.00 to 1.010 would be considered dry.
1.010 to 1.020 would be “normal”
1.020 to 1.030 semi sweet
Above 1.030 would be sweet.

Relative to the alcohol content also. I have a mead that finished ~1.030. It’s not overly sweet because the alcohol content (17%) balances it out.

With the Dark DME and 2lbs of c-80, your beer should not taste dry.

The beer should taste better with a little age and carbonation.

Thanks guys. Makes me feel better. I know it is still a pretty young beer and it was my first taste. I know it needs another week or two and then the time it will take to bottle condition. Just wanted to see if anyone had any war stories that were similar. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out.

I can tell you that tasting samples and relating that to what the final beer will taste like is an art that is developed over time. My first year of brewing I was worried about the taste of every batch, but they all turned out just fine. Only now, after 2 years can I really relate the warm, flat, yeasty tastings to the final result.

Good news. I took a SG reading last night along with a taste, and the SG is holding steady at 1.016 and the dry flavor is completely gone. I wonder if, because I took the previous sample right after moving the beer to a secondary if I had a bunch of yeast & other sediment in my sample. The beer is a nice clean/clear dark brown & tasted great. Even though fermentation is done I plan on letting it rest for another week to 10 days before bottling. Seems the consensus here is that it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for all of your replies.

:cheers:

Patience is the hard part.

When you go to bottle, fill one soda bottle. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. When CO2 is produced the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening in the glass bottles.

Also, stir the beer in the bottling bucket after each 12pk to keep the sugar mixed well.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Patience is the hard part.

When you go to bottle, fill one soda bottle. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. When CO2 is produced the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening in the glass bottles.

Also, stir the beer in the bottling bucket after each 12pk to keep the sugar mixed well.[/quote]

I’ve seen you post this advice before and I plan on following it exactly. I mentioned the soda bottle trick to my father-in-law, who has been brewing 30+ years, and he said it was genius and had never heard of doing that before. He kegs everything so he will probably never use it but it just goes to show that even after 30+ years you can learn something new.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

When you go to bottle, fill one soda bottle. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. When CO2 is produced the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening in the glass bottles. [/quote]

NH, just curious - do you use new screw on caps or the old ones? I have one batch where I just did this and put a new cap on. The ring bottom of the new cap kept it from getting a good seal. Had to take the ring off.