"Real" Ale

Yeh it’s funny that @denny mentioned him being a little self absorbed, I get the same vibe like he is trying to prove something rather than take it in. Still love the concept

1 Like

I have to agree about being self absorbed in the beginning. Since it’s a blog/documentary the lead up context would have been nice for some illustration. It’s a bit like listening to a blues song where the only blue is that you’re tired. Tempted to jump further into the series to see if some healing has been done. Could be a English thing though :smile: Amazing that with 30,000 narrowboats of those canals that it isn’t more congested. I guess a used one starts around 40k

2 Likes

yeah, I’m gonna watch at least a couple more before I decide

Ok, I’m in, watching episode 1 starting now…

May sleep be with you

5 Likes

It is a sleepy show but NCIS puts me to sleep instantly as well. I Just finished the first season and I won’t spoil it but he does admit he can barely recognize the person he is at the beginning of the season.

1 Like

So…the episode I’m watching now is called “Close encounters of the tedious kind” and that kinda sets the tone. I have to say, I now have a hankering for some “Indian takeaway” such as balti vindaloo or Peshwari naan…still waiting for some CAMRA discourse.

1 Like

I think I’m past there and I don’t recall having seen a beer. He has mentioned real ale twice I think. I will admit the show has put me to sleep more than a couple times.

Way too low key and monotonous for me. Only real reason I’ve continued watching is to see the inside of the damn boat! Besides the engine room I mean. How can you have a show about a guy living on a boat and not show us what it’s like in there?

3 Likes

It is very frustrating to not see the inside of the boat. @voodoo_donut I may have oversold the amount of ale in the show. There are several missed opportunities where he doesn’t record his night out on the town but only gives them lip service as having one too many

1 Like

I’ve watched the first two episodes. Very promising concept but is about as interesting as a “Dear Diary” video. As mentioned, you don’t see the inside of the boat nor any of his interactions with the people he meets. I’ll probably watch a couple more episodes or just skip to the end of the season to see if his story telling style improves.

1 Like

If the show is that univiting… Why not brew a beer and prepare for it to be cask conditioned? Sneezles61

Another sleepy show is Fishing with John

1 Like

The second season was much better. I actually had to make a meat pie from scratch after watching this show.

2 Likes

Starting with the 3rd season “Christmas Special” would be the best beginning haha

1 Like

Ha. Reviving this old thread as I’ve had renewed interest in “calm and monotonous” programmes (British pun intended) with all the insanity going on. Daily(it seems)mass shootings, the Russian anaconda now inexorably squeezing the Ukrainians to dust, Covid(yay!),…… no fun in Mudville.

7seasons!?!

1 Like

There gots to be a morning after… we are so sheltered… no tears about what we pay fer our life’s…. Hold hands…
Sneezles61

I really recommend the program “Old Enough” on Netlix as a television cure-all. While I typically have zero appetite for anything “reality” based because they don’t appeal to my reality I’m trying to live. Old Enough combines so many things into one package.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81506279

1 Like

I’ll need something this latest incident has opened old wounds. Im 8 miles from SH and people are walking around here like zombies again.

1 Like

Sorry for getting off point there. But its hard to find anything good on TV lately. The super hero stuff is ringing hollow lately. Wife refuses to watch anything unless it has a happy ending. Been watching MASH reruns

3 Likes

Wife and I have been watching Dirty Jobs as our nightly wind down show. They have 2 seasons worth of free to stream through our Comcast service. It’s been a fascinating and enjoyable watch.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like