Re-use sanitizer?

Can you re-use say 6 gallon of sanitizer for the complete batch of beer? After sanitizing carboy, splurge bucket, funnels and everything else, I would seal in a bucket and use just prior to bottling, all bottles, buckets and equipment related to that. Also Bleach or star san?

Thanks in advance. New-bee

[quote=“murphsharp”]Can you re-use say 6 gallon of sanitizer for the complete batch of beer? After sanitizing carboy, splurge bucket, funnels and everything else, I would seal in a bucket and use just prior to bottling, all bottles, buckets and equipment related to that. Also Bleach or star san?

Thanks in advance. New-bee[/quote]
Yes, to reuse.

Most prefer starsan over bleach. Safer and no rinse.

If you make starsan with distilled water it will last longer. As long as pH is below 3 it’s still good.

[quote=“murphsharp”]Can you re-use say 6 gallon of sanitizer for the complete batch of beer? After sanitizing carboy, splurge bucket, funnels and everything else, I would seal in a bucket and use just prior to bottling, all bottles, buckets and equipment related to that. Also Bleach or star san?

Thanks in advance. New-bee[/quote]
Star san can definitely be saved. Not sure about others. And without a doubt Starsan over bleach. Bleach leaves a smell/taste that takes a lot of rinsing to get rid of.
One tip- you don’t have to fill your 6 G bucket with diluted starsan. A small amount works well- shake it up to coat all surfaces. I usually mix up 2.5G fresh on brewing day, sanitize everything that needs it, fill a spray bottle to use as needed, put 1G in a milk jug to save if needed, and then put 1/2 G in another milk jug to use as a blowoff if needed.

Very good advice above. I can’t stress how beneficial it is to only mix a 2.5 gal batch of star san or less. Remember that the item only needs to get wet to sanitize and NOT submerged the entire 30 secs.

I do a gallon at a time. Measure just below the 1/4oz line. Neve had any issues. I usually use that gallon for a least two compete batches.

I’ve been mixing it up in a 1 gal glass bottle and dispensing it from there to spray bottles, sponges, and bottle washers. The purchase of a plastic spray/mist-er bottle has been the best investment in brewing accessories yet. The second best accessory may be the colander used to dip/spray small parts (like bottle caps) en-mass in the StarSan.

A spray bottle will cut your sanitizer volume requirements considerably.

So my answer is going to match, at least in part, some of the comments above. But I’ll spell out what I personally would recommend in total

First off - Go with Star San. forget bleach and all that. Star san.

Go to Lowes, Home Depot - any place like that. But one of their $5.00 or so buckets and a lid. Also get a spray bottle. I personally say splurge a bit and get the nicer $3 or so one versus those cheap $0.99 ones you see at the dollar store

Mix up about 2 1/2 gallons. you don’t need the full 5 gallons I think it says on the star san bottle. just cut the amount in 1/2. Use distilled water.

then, store it in your shiny new bucket. fill the spray bottle up with some too. I love having a good spray bottle with it, I run around like john wayne spraying everything in site on brew day - ha ha.

then yep - you can use it again, and again, and again. buy ph strips, use until it below 3 as noted above. having said that, I do tend to start over after maybe 3-4 batches (both fermenting and bottling). I figure 8 or so uses (4 for brewing, 4 or so for bottling) is pretty good. I may be able to get even more out of it, but the star san will last you quite awhile anyway

hope this helps

Thanks all for replying and some very good advice.

Murphsharp !

When I started I was making 6 gallons of Iodophor to fill my carboys, I have since moved to Star San and make 2 1/2 gallons now with distilled water. I find that it lasts longer with distilled, about 2.5+ months. I also fill up a big spray bottle with it. I love the stuff!

The biggest lesson that I have to learn and to get use to is don’t fear the foam!

I make 2.5 gallons of Star-san to use on brew day then save it in a sealed bucket to use when I keg the batch, that’s usually 3-4 weeks. I know it will last longer but I figure as cheap as it is, getting 2 uses out of a batch is good enough. I do keep a spray bottle around for months though and check the pH every now and then.

Yes reuse it. Bought pH strips from ebay for cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380852955772?ss … 1439.l2649