Racking to keg for secondary?

I have a batch 14 days in…I need to free up my fermenter…would it be wise to rack to keg to finish it out? or will that result in way too much yeast in the final product?

My usual MO is to run the primary ferment for 10-14 days, and then move the fermenter (an Ale Pail) into a dedicated fridge, set to 33°, for 1-2 weeks. My ales get kegged and put on tap after 1-2 weeks in the fridge, and my lagers get racked to a keg or a carboy for further lagering.

This allows for the yeast/trub/etc. to settle out nicely. after 1-2 weeks, the beer gets racked into a keg or carboy, (and is usually quite clear at this point).

My suggestion: go ahead and keg if the beer is done fermenting. Checking the gravity with a hydrometer is a good idea.

One more suggestion: if possible, try to track down a spare fridge for bulk cold-aging. When i was able to get a fridge dedicated for brewing (cold-aging), i could tell an immediate improvement in the quality of my beers.

Bklmt2000

[quote=“Bklmt2000”]My usual MO is to run the primary ferment for 10-14 days, and then move the fermenter (an Ale Pail) into a dedicated fridge, set to 33°, for 1-2 weeks. My ales get kegged and put on tap after 1-2 weeks in the fridge, and my lagers get racked to a keg or a carboy for further lagering.

This allows for the yeast/trub/etc. to settle out nicely. after 1-2 weeks, the beer gets racked into a keg or carboy, (and is usually quite clear at this point).

My suggestion: go ahead and keg if the beer is done fermenting. Checking the gravity with a hydrometer is a good idea.

One more suggestion: if possible, try to track down a spare fridge for bulk cold-aging. When i was able to get a fridge dedicated for brewing (cold-aging), i could tell an immediate improvement in the quality of my beers.

Bklmt2000[/quote]

So if i rack it to keg tonight bleed out the air and seal it with 30 psi and leave it for a few weeks at room temp i should be good right? Cause im not to worried about cloudy beer im just concerned about super duper cloudy beer…I had a batch one time that was mostly yeast i just kept pouring pint after pint of yeast slurry…it was a PITA…thanks

Yes you should be fine, but verify the FG first to make sure primary is done before removing from the yeast.

[quote=“mattbrew83”]

So if i rack it to keg tonight bleed out the air and seal it with 30 psi and leave it for a few weeks at room temp i should be good right? Cause im not to worried about cloudy beer im just concerned about super duper cloudy beer…I had a batch one time that was mostly yeast i just kept pouring pint after pint of yeast slurry…it was a PITA…thanks[/quote]

Learn how to pour a bottled conditioned beer. :wink:

What ever will drop out of suspension in 2-4 weeks, will drop out of suspension in the primary, a second vessel, a third vessel…

It’s not the vessel, pail/carboy/keg/bottle. It’s the time that dictates.