Quick IPA advice

My mother is having an open house party for her family and friends for a new kitchen renovation. She asked that I provide some liquid refreshment. I have a graf that will soon be backsweetened and hopefully up to par as well as half a corny keg of a great Torpedo clone I recently made.

I’m trying to get one other beer ready but it was made last Tuesday. It’s not showing much airlock activity as of now. I’ll probably give it till Wed. and then keg it.

My question is, can I use a gallon paintstrainer bag and dry hop it in the keg using dental floss starting the day I keg it? Basically her party is this coming sunday. So I’d be kegging a really ‘green’ or new beer on Wed, dry hopping in the keg and hoping to serve it Sunday.
I know it’s a stretch but I also know that the beer drinkers will down the 2 + gallons that make up the Torpedo clone quickly.

I guess I already know the answer: give it a go and see wtf happens Ha!

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Sincerely,
Quickturnaroundipaforkitchenrenovationparty

If I am reading this right, it sounds like you intend to serve an IPA that will be 12 days from the day you brewed it?? Or maybe 18 days or so at the most??? Personally, sounds like disaster to me. I don’t ever even take my beers out of primary for 21 days. Usually like at least another 21 on them after that before drinking.

I can’t imagine a 12 day old IPA being very good. I could be wrong, and maybe others have had some success doing this, but I think you have a very good chance of serving a beer that is not very good to be honest. I guess, I would not do it. I would get some growlers, bottled beer, or a commercial 5 gallon keg to supplement.

There are several styles this might work with, but not sure about your IPA. British miles like NB’s Innkeeper is something that might be fine after two weeks.

If you try it, let us know.

Love to see your Torpedo recipe.

The torpedo recipe I got off the net. I’ll try and cut and paste here from Brew Smith.

I’ve had it in the back of my mind that I can’t make this IPA happen. You are probably right. I usually let my beers sit in primary for 2 to 3 weeks or more. If I dry hop I rack to secondary and then dry hop.

The torpedo recipe was an extract and I had two people I blind test tasted and they totally thought the real beer was my beer hahaha… I don’t know what that says about it. On one hand I think that makes me feel good about my beer that they thought that my beer was Sierra Nevada.

I will also say that I didn’t have crystal hops. I substituted Mt. Hood for Crystal. I want to also add this f’d up addition to the recipe. My wife is pregnant, has a lot of stuff for me to do etc. Work is crazy right now. I racked this Torpedo recipe to secondary after two weeks. I then dry hopped and didn’t get it out of secondary to the keg for THREE WEEKS. After a week in the keg this thing was so golden and awesome ha…

So, the long and short for the torpedo recipe is this:

It’s extract (sorry)
It was in primary for 2 weeks.
It Dry Hopped for 3 weeks.
I subbed Mt. Hood for Crystal.
It’s F’n delicious!

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1 5.9 %
8 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 2 94.1 %
1.20 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 52.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
1.20 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 4.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 8.6 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -
0.67 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.67 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.67 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Cool, thanks!

For hoppy beers, the fresher the better. If you can let it dry hop warm for the first 2-3 days, then you may be able to pull it off.