Quick fermentation - surly bender partial mash

i brewed surly bender friday night, pitched yeast at 9:00 p.m. there was much yeast activity all day saturday - the airlock bubbling quite a bit and a nice foam in the carboy. then Sunday @ 7:00 a.m., all activity stopped.

this is only my 5th recipe, 2nd half mash. i was told this could either be real good or not good. good becasue the yeast worked very quickly. i used liquid yeast with a starter.

anyone experience this and any suggestions? thanks

What temperature is your fermenter?

74/75 f

At those temp the yeast were overly active. So it’s possible to be finished in 1 day.

It’s best to keep the temps in the low to mid 60’s.

Here are some ideas on how to keep temps down to avoid off flavors.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103505&p=917359&hilit=swamp+cooler#p917359

thanks.

are you saying fermenting at the higher temp will cause the off flavors?

at this point i guess there is nothing I can do but wait for a week or so and them move to the 2nd fementator?

[quote=“zoben”]thanks.

are you saying fermenting at the higher temp will cause the off flavors?

at this point i guess there is nothing I can do but wait for a week or so and them move to the 2nd fementator?[/quote]
Yes, at higher temps yeast will produce esters and fusels. Esters include flavors like clove and banana. Fusels are what makes your beer taste hot, like alcohol bite. Sometimes, these flavors aren’t off, but actually desired. This is why some beers are fermented at higher temps, to induce these flavors, such as Saisons.

I wouldn’t go dumping this batch though. When I first started out I had no temperature control and my brews were fermenting at the same range as yours. Extra time at higher temps (after fermentation) will help to eradicate some of the flavors. Also, extra time in the fridge will help to mellow them.

Homebrewing is a learning process. Controlling the temperature is one of the most important things that will improve your beer.

:cheers: