Questions from a Newbie

Hello All,

Let me start by complimenting the forum. Excellent work guys, what a great resource for the homebrewer.

I’m a Newbie here after having returned to AG brewing after a 17 year hiatus. Until this year my last brew when I was a wee pup of 16 years, using my much thumbed copy of Graham Wheeler.

Anyway, I’m back in the game and already 3 brews down since the start of the year - a lovely East Sussex Best Bitter, an SNPA clone and my first attempt at a Weissbier. All good so far.

So I have loads of left over ingredients lying around and I thought I would have a bit of an experiment for brew #4. I realise this recipe is a bit off the wall, with Hallertau as the bittering hop but does anybody have any views about how it might turn out, or suggested changes? I’m shooting for a kind fo pale ale - not really had any thoughts yet on what yeast to use Many thanks in advance for your help.

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.00 kg Lager Malt
0.75 kg Crystal Malt -
0.25 kg Rye, Flaked
35.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh - Boil 90.0 min
25.00 g Perle - Boil 30.0 min
8.00 g Goldings, East Kent - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) -
8.00 g Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %
Bitterness: 39.9 IBUs
Est Color: 19.6 EBC

I’d use the perle for 90 and the mittlefrueh for 5.

I would use a centennial or cascade for a pale ale . Mo re of a citrus flavor than the earthy flavor of the hallertau. Just depends on the flavor profile that you want.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do have some Cascade knocking around as well but I kind of wanted to avoid using them as I want to create something which is significantly different from the SNPA clone I made recently (currently maturing so not yet passed my lips).

I like how this recipe looks. Seems like sort of an English Rye PA, with the usual English malts, but mostly German hops. Should be very tasty beer, no matter what you call it! Go for it.

The recipe probably doesn’t fit directly into a BJCP style (maybe a Rye Dusseldorf Alt?), but I think it will make a fine fine beer!

IMHO, Cascades would be a bit out of place with the others. I would modify the hop additions as follows (get rid of the 90 minute addition and move it to 60, again, with the Perle, as suggested above)…still do your 90 boil if you want some kettle carmelization/melanoidin, but don’t add hops until 60:

60 - Perle
20 - Perle
10 - EKG
flameout - Hallertauer (feel free to swap this one with the 10 min EKG addition, depending on what aroma you want)
dry hop with EKG and/or Haller (optional)
adjust the amounts to get to your same IBU’s, but it will be a less bitter/biting beer with moving most of the additions to late hops

For yeast, I would suggest either Nottingham or one of the liquid German Ale/Alt yeasts with an appropriate starter

Ferment at 67 to get some esters or lower (64ish) for a cleaner profile

Good to have you back making the barley water!

:cheers:

I like the idea of brewing something up that can’t be pigeon-holed :slight_smile:

I did strike me as a bit experi-mental when I threw it together but never thought that I might be going into uncharted territory!

I will play around a bit with the perle/hallertauer mix as suggested and dig up this thread in a month to give you all some tasting notes

Cheers

:cheers: