Questions about co2 tanks

How heavy is a 5lb co2 tank after it is full?
How many 5 gallon batches does a 5lb tank last?
Also how heavy is a 5gallon keg unfilled?

Thank you very much!

The tare weight varies from tank to tank so it is stamped on the CO2 tank. Mine is steel and it weighs 7.75 lbs plus 5 lbs CO2.

It will last for a variable amount of time depending upon several factors. Use it to force carb, dispense, transfer, etc. A leak will kill it quickly. Roughly speaking, it will last for 3-6 months or about 10-20 kegs.

I forget how heavy a ball lock keg is but I’m sure someone else will chime in with that.

A empty 5 gallon keg weighs 9 lbs and of course 49 lbs full I did the math just in case someone might ask :roll:

Depending on the beer. A 4% bitter should weigh less than a 9% RIS.

Depending on the beer. A 4% bitter should weigh less than a 9% RIS.[/quote]I hope you’re kidding. Depends upon the FG. They could weigh the same but now you’re splitting hairs. There is more variation in weight due to the fill level than there is in the weight difference between a bitter and a RIS.

If people are worried about a FG of 1.017 when they were expecting 1.014, we should note that a keg of beer may weight 47lbs or 52lbs and not 49lbs.

How do we know Chuck’s scale is accurate? Did he actually have 5 gallons in the keg?

Yes it is splitting hairs. 8)

If people are worried about a FG of 1.017 when they were expecting 1.014, we should note that a keg of beer may weight 47lbs or 52lbs and not 49lbs.

How do we know Chuck’s scale is accurate? Did he actually have 5 gallons in the keg?

Yes it is splitting hairs. 8) [/quote]You are missing a few decimal points. Water is 8.33 lb/gal at SPGR 1.0 so 8.33x5galx(1.017-1.014)=0.125 lb per 5 gal keg

Greg, I was not speaking about the weight difference in a 1.014 beer verses a 1.017 beer (with the same OG). I was speaking that some people are concerned about that difference. Just as they would be concerned about their 5 gallons weighting 47 instead of 49 pounds.

If we really want to split hairs, alcohol “absorbs” water. That is why we add alcohol’s to our gas in the winter. To rid the tank of water. So, 1g of water + 1g of alcohol does not equal 2 gallons of liquid. Sooooo, there will be differences in weight between beers with difference OG/FG/ABV’s.

Does it matter? No. Roughly a 5 gallon keg will weigh 50lbls.

:cheers:

Nighthawk- now we’re on the same page :cheers:

We were on the same page from the beginning. :wink:

Kevin.

Next time I’ll just give the keg weight.

This is one of those threads that I’m mad about reading after I read the whole thing then I’m so annoyed that I waste more of my life typing about it agghh its a vicious cycle.