Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Question on Dry Hopping

I am dry hopping a beer right now. I dry hopped by putting the hops in a muslin bag and weighed it down by marbles. Having done this, I expected that I would not have to deal with much hop particles; however, this is not the case. It is 5 days in and I am blown away by the amount of hop particles that are suspended in the beer. Will this drop out by time i hit the 10-14 day mark?? When I cold crash it is there any chance that this will drop the hop particles as well??

Please advise.

Cold will drop the particles.

oh good, thank you.

+1
I just toss them in.

I do the same, after a couple days of cold crashing all the hops drop out nicely.

You using pellets, plugs, or leaf hops?
If you’re using pellets, I find a nylon bag works a lot better than muslin.

[quote=“Wahoo”]You using pellets, plugs, or leaf hops?
If you’re using pellets, I find a nylon bag works a lot better than muslin.[/quote]

+1 to this… but I try to always use whole hops when possible. A lot less particles and I feel I like the dry hop flavor with whole hops better then pellets. Could just be my imagination, but I feel I can taste a difference.

Do you keg your beer? Is that how you are cold crashing? If so you may get a few hop particles in the first few glasses and then be good after that.

I don’t mess with the muslin bags, just toss everything in.

I have been using pellet hops, have not tried whole hops yet, but maybe my next brew will feature some. I cold crash the beer in the carboy for a few days before i siphon it into my keg.

+1 to the nylon bag for pellets.

+2 for using whole hops for dry hopping.

+3 for putting the whole hops straight into secondary.

You might consider keg hopping. You’ll need to give it an extra week to condition in the keg but it works well.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com