Question on Dry Hopping

I am dry hopping a beer right now. I dry hopped by putting the hops in a muslin bag and weighed it down by marbles. Having done this, I expected that I would not have to deal with much hop particles; however, this is not the case. It is 5 days in and I am blown away by the amount of hop particles that are suspended in the beer. Will this drop out by time i hit the 10-14 day mark?? When I cold crash it is there any chance that this will drop the hop particles as well??

Please advise.

Cold will drop the particles.

oh good, thank you.

+1
I just toss them in.

I do the same, after a couple days of cold crashing all the hops drop out nicely.

You using pellets, plugs, or leaf hops?
If you’re using pellets, I find a nylon bag works a lot better than muslin.

[quote=“Wahoo”]You using pellets, plugs, or leaf hops?
If you’re using pellets, I find a nylon bag works a lot better than muslin.[/quote]

+1 to this… but I try to always use whole hops when possible. A lot less particles and I feel I like the dry hop flavor with whole hops better then pellets. Could just be my imagination, but I feel I can taste a difference.

Do you keg your beer? Is that how you are cold crashing? If so you may get a few hop particles in the first few glasses and then be good after that.

I don’t mess with the muslin bags, just toss everything in.

I have been using pellet hops, have not tried whole hops yet, but maybe my next brew will feature some. I cold crash the beer in the carboy for a few days before i siphon it into my keg.

+1 to the nylon bag for pellets.

+2 for using whole hops for dry hopping.

+3 for putting the whole hops straight into secondary.

You might consider keg hopping. You’ll need to give it an extra week to condition in the keg but it works well.