Question about making a small starter

I don’t have time to get to the brew shop before this weekend, and I’d like to brew this weekend. So, I was just planning on grabbing a couple packs of 1056 instead of making a starter. But, Mr. Malty says I still need a starter with two packs.

So, is it OK to pitch two packs into, say, a 1/2 liter starter? I’d want this small volume because I wouldn’t have time to decant, but I’m not sure if there’s some sort of drawback to adding a ton of yeast to a small volume of wort.

I would pick up a pack or 2 of US-05 instead.

What is the OG of this beer?

I’d prefer to under-pitch the beer a little rather than over-pitch the starter. If they’re fairly fresh, two packs should be fine up to 1.070 or so.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I would pick up a pack or 2 of US-05 instead.

What is the OG of this beer?[/quote]

I’m now leaning towards making a different beer with US-05. I’ll probably pick up a pack of yeast to make a starter with for the beer I was planning on making. Just put it off a couple weeks. It’s been a long time since I used US-05 and would like to try it again.

Just out of curiosity, what is the drawback to overpitching a starter?

Thanks.

When starting from a fresh pack/vial, you’re just reducing the overall health of the yeast for little gain in terms of cell count.